Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qork Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Facing foreclosure
    If facing foreclosure and the house has no equity which is the better option, bankruptcy or foreclosure?
    david5733 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 12:27 PM
    The first thing I would do is try and work with your lender. Chances are your banker is foreclosing on several homes. They have to prioritize and will most definitely foreclose on the homes that do have equity. They can sell those homes below market value, get a quick sell and recoup their money.

Now on a home with no equity or a home that is maxed out to the hilt, they might foreclose on those homes as well, but it MAY be in their best interest to work with you.

Don't ignore their letter or put your head in the sand. Call them and explain you want to fulfill your obligation, but circumstances in your life right now are making it too difficult. They may look at your situation and work with you.

Now the bank may not want to work with you and/or if the burden of the monthly payments is just too much for you, I would suggest getting a free consultation from a lawyer as to what is the best approach for you problem.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Neither one is a good option, but there are things to consider.

Would filing Bankruptcy, put you in the situation to be able to afford the mortgage payment?

If the answer to that is yes, then I would go that route, and keep my home.

The deal is, if you let them foreclose, you are going to have a large unpaid balance due on the mortgage, and they are going to come after you for that balance.

So, letting the house go back, and then getting hit with a large law suit for the unpaid balance would probably put you in the position to file Bankruptcy anyway, and not have a home, so, Bankruptcy without losing the home looks pretty good from my point of view.

If the Bankruptcy would include letting the home go back, then you still loose the home, but the unpaid balance will be included in the Bankruptcy.

You really should talk to an attorney, most will consult the first time at no charge.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Jun 7, 2008, 01:22 PM
    I agree with the above answer that neither one is a good option.

Is it a financial hardship that is causing problems making the payments?

Have you tried to sell it? If so, is it currently on the market and listed on the MLS?

If so, you may be able to do a short sale and keep your credit intact to move into a more affordable home. You need to talk to a good RE agent if you think that is an option.

LG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent collection while facing foreclosure [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I just found out that my landlord is faceing foreclosure. This is a three unit rental property. All of the tennants including myself, have paid our rent every month on time. However, the landlord has not paid the mortgage since 12-01-07. He is still collecting the rent. We were advised not to...

Facing your accuser [ 6 Answers ]

If I am being sued for a debt on a credit card that I never had, do I have the right to require the plaintiff to face me in court during a status conference, so that I can demand a contract or other proof that they have authority to sue me, instead of appearing telephonically? My understanding is...

How much time is he facing? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, a close friend of mine was arrested and is being charged with 1st degree burglary without a weapon in NY. I was wondering how much time is he facing?:confused:

View more questions Search