Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christine1225 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 01:03 PM
    First time doing tax! Help!
    Hi,

This is my first time do the tax, so I have some questions needed to be answered. Below is my scenario:

I am from Taiwan, and I am under F-1 (OPT) from July 05 until now. My income last year is $13000.00, and I think I am exempt from Social security and Medicare tax.
    I moved from Seattle to LA for the job, so I think I am qualifying for moving expense deduction too.

Below is the forms I think I should file:

1040NR
    Form 3903 –moving expense
    Form 843 – Claim for refund and request for abatement
    Form 8843 – Claim for refund for social security and Medicare tax.

Are these ALL the forms I should file? Is there any other I should file too?

Also, how do I know if my country has a tax treaty with US? I am from Taiwan and I only see China on the list. Can anyone tell me whether IRS consider Taiwan as part of China?

Last question, can I be exempt from Federal and CA State income tax as well?

Thanks for the help!!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2006, 09:36 PM
    As far as I know, Taiwan does not have a separate tax treaty with the U.S.

However, it may be considered part of the People's Republic of China. You may need to actually read the treaty to make that determination. If som the exemption is good for money earned up to $5,000, so you will pay some income taxes.

I do not think California honors the treaty exemption. However, a call or e-mail to the California Franchise Tax Board should answer that question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Run time [ 1 Answers ]

I keep getting this "a run time error has occured, do you want to debug?" If I click no, nothing is resolved. If I click yes, I get a blank windo that says "ready" but nothing happens. How did I get this and what do I do about it? Thanks. H*

First time [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 16 and now looking to have sex for the first time.I am very nervous though, I worry about lots of things. Things mainly like will it be awkward and is everything fine 'down there' to the girls satisfaction,am I sad for still be a virgin and will she notice that I'm not 'experienced'. I know I...

Computer won't start up first time, but will second time [ 8 Answers ]

So this is a completely different computer first off. When I press the power button, everything powers up, but the computer does not post, or beep. If you leave the computer on for like 10 seconds, turn it off, and then turn it immediately back on, it turns on, posts, beeps, boots into Windows...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

When is the right time? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay I need some help with something. Okay so girls how long should we be together with someone until it's a good time for a guy to give you a promise ring(promise ring is for I promise to be with her and be there for her forever). What would some of the signs be if she really into me, acually...

View more questions Search