Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Mar 7, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Multiple OS CD's
    I have 2 desktop and 2 laptop PC's, all Compaq. All Windows XP SP2. On one that my son used I want to completely wipe and reinstall Windows. The OS CD's I got with the computers are all mixed up, don't know which is for which. Does it matter? If I use the CD I got with one of the laptops on his desktop, since its Windows XP won't it have most of the drivers I need anyway? He has so much crap on it, I just want to wipe it and do a fresh install.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 7, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klmgb
    I have 2 desktop and 2 laptop PC's, all Compaq. All Windows XP SP2. On one that my son used I want to completely wipe and reinstall Windows. The OS CD's I got with the computers are all mixed up, don't know which is for which. Does it matter? If I use the CD I got with one of the laptops on his desktop, since its Windows XP won't it have most of the drivers I need anyway? He has so much crap on it, I just want to wipe it and do a fresh install.
    If both CD's say "Windows XP" on them then you "should" be able to re-install from any of the OS CDs. The License should be taped to the machine in question which is mostly standard practice now-a-days. With regards to the drivers I would play it safe and go to the HP website and download all the drivers for your machine (the one you're going to rebuild) and burn them to CD if you can just in case the Windows XP install doesn't recognize your network card (or modem).

Goodluck

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vynils to CD's [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to convert Vynils to CD's, I have a record player and a Preamp which I have connected to my Pc, the music plays OK througn my PC but using sound recorder when I try to record it doesn't record, am I doing something wrong. I'm using windows XP Pro. HELP please :confused:

Vynils to CD's [ 3 Answers ]

I have a number of Vynil rtecords which I want to convert to CD's, what do I need to do this and how do I go about it

Auto exe. Cd's [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to make an auto exe. Cd's start faster?

I don't want them to copy my cd's! [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do in oder to make it hard to copy a cd. I've attempted to copy some cd's and they won't let me. I need some of my media cd's to work the same way. I can I do this?

Making video CD's [ 2 Answers ]

How can I take my analog video and put it on a CD through my CD Burner? Any video techies out there?

View more questions Search