Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    openmouthedfool Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Tropical Ocean Slime Bag Creature - What is it?
    I encountered a strange creature (or plant?) in shallow, calm, beachy waters in the Florida keys. It looked like a balloon or bag, about 4 inches long and 3 inches in diameter, filled with pale brownish slime, and it seemed to be dug in or attached to the sand at one end. Does anyone know what this was? We saw several, some less plump and robust. Thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 03:27 AM
    I'm not finding a critter that matches your description, but am thinking it's a seaweed.

Did you happen to see any of it washed up on the shore?
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Mar 9, 2006, 11:13 PM
    Hi. What you are describing sounds very much like it might be a sea cucumber...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_cucumber

There are many different varieties, and some do burrow into the ocean floor. Though they are considered nocturnal, and to the best of my knowledge, aren't generally found close in to shore.

It's hard to say for sure. Hope this is indeed what you saw. :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2006, 02:56 AM
    Likely not a sea cucumber as, as Thomas indicated, they are not found close to shore. They live in the benthic layer: deep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benthic
    janl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 02:46 PM

It Ocean Slime and it's full of bacteria caused by the ocean being out of balance, caused by pollution, overfishing, warming waters and some combination of the three are to blame. Go to the web address below to find out more details:

Oceans on the precipice: Scripps scientist warns of mass extinctions and 'rise of slime'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have I found a new bug/creature? [ 15 Answers ]

My daughter found this bug/creature that looks like a cross between a caterpillar, a slug, a snake, and an alligator (minus the mouth). It is 2 inches long and at its widest point it is 10 cm wide. At one end of its body it has pinchers, at the other end there are 4 rows of what looks like sharp...

Travel to ocean city, MD? [ 2 Answers ]

Need some help here... I am currently in South-west PA and I need to make a trip to ocean city, MD around mid-summer. I wanted to take Amtrak as I usually do. What's the closest station to OC that I should look for? Or does anyone know about any other alternatives other than using a...

View more questions Search