Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    applehead2007 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2008, 08:36 PM
    How can I break into marketing?
    I graduated in 2002 with a communications degree, got good grades in college, and did a PR internship after graduation. But... I had a tough time finding a job in the field, so I ended up taking a mortgage sales job instead, where I made a lot more money than I could have in an entry-level PR or marketing position at the time.

I moved around a bit because my now ex-fiance wanted to try life out west, so I had to quit jobs and start up new ones, although I was an excellent employee at all positions. I have worked in new home sales for the past couple years. Real estate is obviously in a slump lately, so I am feeling frustrated.

After my ex and I broke up 9 months ago, I moved home and got a job with a builder in the area, still struggling in the slow market. Now I am thinking about trying to get into marketing or public relations, but it seems like it is SO competitive! What is the best way to convince an employer to hire me? I'm not a job hopper... I just moved around because of my circumstances, but some employers don't understand that when they see my resume. Should I go back to school and get an MBA... there are one-year programs... or just work my way up the ladder? I just want to get my foot in the door, but so many people are vying for these jobs. Just wondering if any marketers out there have some advice.
    gracie412 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2008, 12:43 AM
    One of the first rules of marketing is to think outside the box. It doesn't seem like that comes naturally for you. Maybe marketing and advertising isn't really your passion. Maybe you need to explore what is.

That being said, many companies, especially when times get rough, turn to in-house marketing. Pick a company, or two, you really like, and come up with a good marketing plan for them. Then call the company and ask if you can present it.

Most professionals will admire your creativity and gumption, even if they don't like your idea. Be proactive. It is very competitive, and it's about to get harder. You need to be truly unique to survive.

Good Luck & God Bless!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I Break Into Marketing? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an associates degree in business management. I was a full time mother for many years working sporadically when I wanted; since then the businesses I have worked for have gone out of business, or the managers have moved on leaving me with no references. For the past year and a half...

Marketing [ 1 Answers ]

What are the 4 p's of marketing?

View more questions Search