Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DouglasC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Father of the bride's girlfriend
    My daughter is getting married in a few months. She is 26. Her mother passed away 5 years ago. Prior to that we had been divorced 7 years. I have been dating a woman for over 10 years. She and my daughter have a so-so relationship. Should I have my friend sit with me or does she sit with her family?

DouglasC
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 6, 2008, 05:48 PM
    I would discuss with your daughter how she feels about it.

If she feels strongly that your girlfriend would be usurping her mother's place at the front of the church, then she should be seated with her family. If your daughter doesn't have strong feelings about it one way or another, then she should sit with you.

Your girlfriend should, however, be seated with you at dinner.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2008, 05:50 PM
    If you and your girl friend are open, ask your daughter, this is her day, if you latter marry your girlfiend, than that will be her day
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline
    It is only appropriate that your girlfriend by you. When the bride and groom are married and walk out you will be walking alone - or will your daughter have someone else with you. It seems that your daughter wants everyone to know that this woman is of no significance to her nor to her dad. I feel sorry for her. What kind of dress is she wearing? Is she going to get her hair and nails done with all the others? Has she been included in anyway. Sounds like she is being alienated and this is not a so-so relationship. You should be discussing this with your long time friend. I wonder how you feel. You should pick a special song ,have it announced and dance with your friend. Are you willing to make her special in any way. The daughter needs to grow up.

Are you KIDDING? It's the DAUGHTER"S wedding---and this is a girlfriend of her dad's--not her stepmom, not his wife--a GIRLFRIEND.

If the dad's girlfriend needs to feel special and not "alienated" then she should be plannign her OWN wedding, not trying to change the focus of his daughter's wedding.

IF the bride's dad had married this woman, I'd feel more like she should be included, if only for propriety's sake. However, they are NOT married, so that gives her NO special distinction whatsoever at his daughter's wedding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend (Ex) cheated, pregnant, doesn't know which one of us is the father [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I will try to sum things up for everyone and not leave any important details out. Me and my now ex-girlfriend have been in a 5 1/2 year long term relationship. We started going out senior year of high school (both 17, now both 22). We ended up going to different colleges (she stayed...

Friend's father deceased, girlfriend dilemma [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am 16 and my friend's father passed away a bit over a month ago all of a sudden from a heart embelism. He was 53. Our whole group has been extremely supportive to our friend, i.e. always being there and encouraging him to express his feelings. In the past few weeks, our friend...

Thank you to bride's parents [ 3 Answers ]

This weekend we attended a small, lavish wedding. Is it corny or weird to write a thank you note to the parents of the bride for inviting us?

Groom Doesn't want Bride's Father to Pay for Wedding [ 10 Answers ]

My Fiancé and I are starting to plan our wedding, and now that I've found a great place to hold the wedding that offers an all-inclusive wedding package, now my Fiancé says that he doesn't want for our wedding to be an event, and that he doesn't care if anyone is there but us two. And he is...

View more questions Search