Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CathyB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 07:53 AM
    Backing up!
    My shower, bathtub and toilet were all backing up - I called my home insurance program and when the plumber came he said I wasn't covered (of course) because it was a root problem. He said he would have to use a camera to see the problem, and suggested it would cost $1000 +/- to fix. He then said he could run a snake from the alley and that would help (for $275) but wasn't the real solution. He was here for about 30 minutes total (and that includes the chat), took my $275 and left me with a shower which still doesn't drain at all, but the toilet now flushes (so far). Am I right to expect a better result?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2006, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyB
    My shower, bathtub and toilet were all backing up - I called my home insurance program and when the plumber came he said I wasn't covered (of course) because it was a root problem. He said he would have to use a camera to see the problem, and suggested it would cost $1000 +/- to fix. He then said he could run a snake from the alley and that would help (for $275) but wasn't the real solution. He was here for about 30 minutes total (and that includes the chat), took my $275 and left me with a shower which still doesn't drain at all, but the toilet now flushes (so far). Am I right to expect a better result?
    Hi Cathy,
    Yes you are. Call the plumber back and tell him to complete the job he was hired to do. I don't have too much respect for a plumber that wants to bang you 1000 bucks before he even ran a snake down the drain. He knows it's blocked. Why does he need a camera to tell him where? Your plumber was hired to clear ALL of your drains and he didn't do it. He should complete the job he was hired to do at no extra cost to you. Don't let him tack on any more unnecessary charges. Goodluck, tom
    CathyB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Thank you! And I will...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backing up... [ 1 Answers ]

I looked around some and didn't quite see a question about this, my apologies if you've answered it eighty times already... :D I am having problems with my kitchen/washing machine draining properly. I have attached an image I made to create a better picture. My kitchen shares a wall with my...

Sink backing up [ 1 Answers ]

In the upstairs bathroom, I have two sinks side by side that are backing up. Removed and cleaned pee trap on both, same problem. Sinks back up on their own. (Will back up without flushing toilet or running shower.) Sinks downstairs are fine.

I'm backing up... [ 1 Answers ]

In the past few days the plumbing in my house has gone to crap... literally. It started with a slow draining bathroom sink on the 2nd level of the house. Liquid Plumber Gel did the trick. Then the toilet clogged. Plunger did it's job. Then we noticed the toilet on the lower level was moving...

Drains backing up [ 3 Answers ]

All the drains in my mobile home are backing up. I used a Zep product to dissolve hair clogs about 2 weeks ago. I washed clothes Sunday and the next day the drains seemed slow but still draining. The third day, today, all the drains are backing up: flush commode and water comes up in bathtub...

Help - Tub is backing up! [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. New to forum, maybe someone can help me. I have noticed that my tub drainage has been slowing down again. Just had cleaned it (using a plastic piece with hooks that got through mail, worked fine) a few weeks ago, but my wife said MY hair was clogging it up again. Had not gotten to it yet......

View more questions Search