Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tushiebear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Roommate laws
    My roommate whom has lived with us for about 2 years now, wants out of her lease because she is hardly ever there and she has someone else staying in the room. She owes this months rent and bills and hundreds in personal loans. Can she get out of the lease without paying?
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Is she sub-letting to the person staying in the space?
    tushiebear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 01:18 PM
    She has him pay her part of the bills
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Yes, she can leave without paying.

And you can take her to court for the unpaid rent, and if you have anything in writing for the personal loans, those can be included as well.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 6, 2008, 06:32 PM
    One approach might be to get the guy who is living there now to assume her portion of the lease. To do that, you would have to get the landlord to do a new lease. They usually don't mind doing that, especially if you extend the lease period.

That would get her out of it and, if you feel the guy living there is trustworthy, get him in.

I've known people like you are describing. She probably has it in her head that she was "owed" the personal loans. You'll never see that money again. Best thing you can do is chalk that up to experience.

If this guy is unwilling to sign up to a lease, you'd better be shopping around for someone who will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Problems: How to Deal with crazy Roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I have a roommate who is 52 years old (Japanese/American bon in US). He was pretty good roommate from Aug 2001, just because he never lived in apt until end of July, I think. He was living with his girlfriend whole time but he came back once a while but he never stayed no longer than 1 week....

Leasing Laws with a Roommate [ 1 Answers ]

I need to get out of a lease that I just started with a roommate. We were living as roommates in a house an decided to get a really nice apartment. We signed a 13 month lease. Its been about a month and he is eating all of my food now and not helping with all of the bills because he is working as...

Roommate Laws [ 3 Answers ]

I currently am locked into a 1 year lease with my best friend. He has brought his girlfriend into this house also. Her and I do not get along at all. I have asked him to get her out but he refuses and makes excuses. I am clearly ganged up her two to one, and I am thinking about moving out. Can I...

View more questions Search