Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkearney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Becoming a Nurse
    I have BA in Psychology and a BA in Sociology. I am currently working for a company that owns/manages country clubs. If I decide to make a career change and become a nurse, what would I need to do. How much education do I need?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 04:02 PM
    It all really depends on where you live. Have you had all of your sciences within the past 5 years?

Again, it all depends on the courses you have taken. Depending on your location there are different courses that are required for the pre-reques. Apparently you can skip your psychs, but have you had your chemistries? Anatomy & Physiology? Biology?

You can contact your local college and talk to an advisor who should be able to pull up your transcripts to tell you exactly what you need before applying for the nursing department.
    teezee Posts: 27, Reputation: -1

Jul 7, 2008, 12:03 AM
    You need the right prereqs. But if you live in California, I suggest skipping doing an AA when you can get a bachelors in nursing at Mount St mary's college because they offer a 1 year accelerated BSN for people like you who already have a bachelors in a different field. That would be your best bet. Or look into other schools with accelerated bachelor programs for people who already have a bacehlor in something else.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 01:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teezee
    You need the right prereqs. But if you live in california, i suggest skipping doing an AA when you can get a bachelors in nursing at Mount St mary's college because they offer a 1 year accelerated BSN for people like you who already have a bachelors in a different field. that would be your best bet. or look into other schools with accelerated bachelor programs for people who already have a bacehlor in something else.
    And if this person lives in another part of the world besides California?

Also, the accelerated BSN for people in a different field is not always advised. Has this person had enough clinical time to know how to place an IV or NG tube, etc?

One year is not nearly enough to learn all that is necessary if one has not had the proper training.
    motivated Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It all really depends on where you live. Have you had all of your sciences within the past 5 years?

Again, it all depends on the courses you have taken. Depending on your location there are different courses that are required for the pre-reques. Apparently you can skip your psychs, but have you had your chemistries? Anatomy & Physiology? Biology?

You can contact your local college and talk to an advisor who should be able to pull up your transcripts to tell you exactly what you need before applying for the nursing department.
    To J_9:

I am new to this and I am in desperate need of some answers. I was really hoping that you would have read it and sent some type of response; please get in touch with me!!

Motivated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 mo old still trying to nurse [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am hoping that somebody can help me. I recently rescued a 2 month old kitten from the pound. I don’t know if he was orphaned, or how long he spent with his mom (but he did have brothers at the pound). He tries to nurse on me (my arm, neck, back), and he tries to nurse from a really...

How to become a nurse practitioner [ 4 Answers ]

I've been back and forth lately about what I want to do with my life. I'm considering switching my major to nursing, but I only want to do nursing if I am able to continue to be a nurse practitoner. My question is.. how do you go about becoming a nurse practitioner? What does it involve and how...

Why should I become a nurse [ 6 Answers ]

I just want to know why to become a nurse what do I get out of it:)

Should I become a nurse? [ 10 Answers ]

I am profoundly deaf (very deaf) I have always wanted to become a nurse since I was young, my parents are both registered nurses (my dad works as a NUM (nursing unit manager) at a woman's correction centre, goal) and my mum works at a disability unit at westmead hospital. I was told at school...

An ob nurse [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone I have a questuin I want to be an ob nurse watching csections and stuff doesn't really bother me but I was wonfering do you have to actually preform any part of the csection or do you just hand the doc whatever they need? And this might sound weird but I seen a lot of c section videos...

View more questions Search