Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Luigi73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Universe Age
    What is the age of the universe and how do we know that? ;)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 6, 2008, 09:09 AM
    It is VERY VERY VERY old, we don't know for 100% certainly, but it can be calculated.

Age of the universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    It is VERY VERY VERY old, we don't know for 100% certainly, but it can be calculated.

Age of the universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    We know within 0.8%, that's pretty good going I think.
    lalla1995 Posts: 36, Reputation: -1

Jun 10, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Nobody knows the age of the universe, many scientists are searching about this topic but nobody had find out.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lalla1995
    Nobody knows the age of the universe, many scientists are searching about this topic but nobody had find out.
    No, we know quite accurately what the age of the universe is.
    DuBas07 Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2008, 12:33 PM
    14.7 billion years old is the answer I come across most frequently but the general accepted time frame is 12-20 billion. They usually explain by using the rate of expansion they figured this out but a couple of questions pop up in my mind. 1) we don't know how big our universe is. 2) our rate of expansion logically had to vary in speed thus throwing off the calculation but admittedly Im not a smart man by any means.
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DuBas07
    14.7 billion years old is the answer I come across most frequently but the general accepted time frame is 12-20 billion. They usually explain by using the rate of expansion they figured this out but a couple of questions pop up in my mind. 1) we dont know how big our universe is. 2) our rate of expansion logically had to vary in speed thus throwing off the calculation but admittedly Im not a smart man by any means.
    I'll try to answer the queries you have.

1) We don't NEED to know how big the universe is. Imagine you had an explosion on a sandy beach. About a second after the explosion you would only need to measure the position and velocity of a few of the sand particles in order to estimate when the explosion happened. (this isn't a perfect analogy - as the big bang wasn't really an explosion).

2) We know fairly well how the rate of expansion varied - as we have many lines of evidence that have to fit with big bang theory. For example the nearly uniform microwave background means that at some point all points in the universe had to be in thermal contact. We infer from this that there must have been a period of slow expansion for this to happen, followed by rapid expansion to drive the points out of thermal contact - we call this theory "inflation".

I hope that gave you a little taste of ways to get around not having absolute knowledge of what happened - we just make the best model that fits all the evidence.
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 9, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi73
    What is the age of the universe and how do we know that? ;)
    Last time I watched the Discovery channel, they said 4.5 billion. It is supposed be the halfway point. This is directly related to the big bang. It's just mind boggling how they figured out or rather 'theorized' that everything originated from a point of near nothingness. It must have been an explosion many times larger than a firecracker. Maybe even an M-80. So the universe expands in all directions for 4.5 billion years, then stops (12-21-12?? ) Then retracts back to it's original single point. Yikes, good luck with that one...
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwild62
    Last time I watched the Discovery channel, they said 4.5 billion. It is supposed be the halfway point. This is directly related to the big bang. It's just mind boggling how they figured out or rather 'theorized' that everything originated from a point of near nothingness. It must have been an explosion many times larger than a firecracker. Maybe even an M-80. So the universe expands in all directions for 4.5 billion years, then stops (12-21-12????) Then retracts back to it's original single point. Yikes, good luck with that one...
    4.5 billion years is the age of the Earth, not the universe.

I don't think that any body thinks the Universe is going to stop expanding, in fact the universe is still expanding at an increasing rate. It's certainly not going to stop by 2012.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Cap is right - best estimates for the age of the universe are about 13.7 billion years. Whether the rate of expansion is slowing, or speeding up, or remaining constant is still subject to debate. Until recently it seemed obvious that it would be slowing, as the mutual gravity attraction between all the parts of the universe should cause it to slow. However, recent measurements seem to show that the expansion is actually speeding up, perhaps powered by some mysterious "dark energy," which no one really understands. So while we know with some certainty that the universe is 13 billion years old, no one knows the universe's ultimate fate. Perhaps we are ultimately destined for the rate of expansion to slow, then stop, then start collapsing in the "big crunch.. If that's out fate, it clearly won't happen for a lot more than another 14 billion years. But if the universe always keeps expanding, then we are ultimately doomed by entropy to a cooling and dieing unverse, one where ultimately there is no more fuel to power the stars any more - call it the "big sleep." That would take many trillions of years to occur. So don't lose sleep over it. After all, as our own sun reaches its end of life it will first become a red giant and incinerate the earth. This will be long before we need to worry about a big crunch or big sleep. You have about 5 billion years left. Have a nice day!
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 10, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    4.5 billion years is the age of the Earth, not the universe.

I don't think that any body thinks the Universe is going to stop expanding, in fact the universe is still expanding at an increasing rate. It's certainly not going to stop by 2012.
    Yes, that's right. Sorry.
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Sep 10, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Thank you for the question. It gave me the opportunity to learn something new. Awesome answers also. Love this forum!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wats there outside the universe [ 3 Answers ]

I'm confused... people say the is a single universe. If the universe is fixed in size wats there outside our universe?? can't there be another nos. of universes??

Across The Universe [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name to the song that he starts singing at the very biggening "is there anyone going to listen to my story, or about the girl who came to stay?" Here's the link to the trailer MySpaceTV: Across The Universe Trailer by Nugeman :) Thank you soooo much

Across the universe [ 5 Answers ]

Across The Universe - Official Site " Came out Yesterday in theaters i believe. OKAY. This movie was AMAZING. I fell in love with it. If it was a person I'd marry it. Yea, I guess you can say its a 2 hour music video but its just igjiogkhsdkj i love it!

The Universe [ 3 Answers ]

Is the Universe symmetrical? I know it's contantly expanding, but are all sides expanding at the same rate?

View more questions Search