Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jazzyt22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Is it harmful to mix vicodin and ibuprofen?
    My daughter's had oral surgery, wisdom teeth removed. Dr. prescribed vicodin. Their dad had some 600mg ibuprofen and want's them to alternate the meds, or if the ibuprofen doesn't work, then take the vicodin. Is this safe?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 09:25 PM
    If that's what the doctor prescribed then I'd stick with that, it's never a good idea to mix meds unless your doctor says it's okay.
    dgallo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2008, 10:14 PM
    I am currently recovering from a shoulder surgery and I was prescribed vicodin. Vicodin should never be mixed with tyleonal or any other type of acetaminophen because it contains this chemical and you can harm your liver. However, you are aloud to take vicodin with ibuprofen with out complications. I was told by by my surgeon if I still have pain after I take vicodin I can also take ibuprofen. He also stated to me if the pain is not severe I should take the ibuprofen instead. So it is safe to give and mix ibuprofen and vicodin with your daughter like you asked
    medivac Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Jul 5, 2008, 05:50 PM
    vicodin has an NSAID in them which is the same thing ibuprofen has in it. If vicodin doesn't work neither is ibuprofen.
    supernoeva Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2008, 10:31 PM
    I'm a pharmacist and I can tell you that vicodin does not have an NSAID. It contains a narcotic (hydrocodone) and acetaminophen (tylenol) so you definitely do not want to take additional tylenol with vicodin but ibuprofen is okay. There's even actually a product called vicoprofen which has hydrocodone and ibuprofen. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ibuprofen (Prescription) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have found out that there is a prescription for ibuprofen. 600 mg for each tablet. Somebody said to me that you can take one pill and sometimes when they are feeling lots of pain they take two. What is the directions for the prescription form of ibuprofen with 600 mg pills. Thank...

Is it safe to take Robitussin PE and Motrin Ibuprofen Tablets? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it safe to take Robitussin PE and Motrin Ibuprofen Tablets? At the same time? I want to take both but I'm not sure if it is unsafe? Ty

Is it harmful? [ 10 Answers ]

Is masturbation harmful for a 19 year old boy??

Dogs and ibuprofen [ 3 Answers ]

Can I give my 90 dog ibuprofen

View more questions Search