Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvlgrl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Old credit card debt
    I had a credit card about 14 for 15 years ago, which I assumed was written off. Now,last week I have another collection agency trying to collect about 5000 dollars... the original limit on the card was only 800! What do I do about this and how do I find out the date for when that statute of limitations would start. I live in a state that has a 15 yr. statute. Any advice? I find it absurd that some collection agency can try to collect 5K for an 800 debt from that long ago.

Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 01:12 PM
    First even if the SOL is over, they can always attempt to collect the debt for the rest of your life. After the SOL they just can not sue you in court and get a judgement.

But while 5000 is a little high on a 800 dollar debt, what you would have is a lot of late fees, a lot of over the limit fees, then legal fees,
    Now on the other hand if it is outside of the SOL there is nothing they can do.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Jun 5, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dvlgrl
    I had a credit card about 14 for 15 years ago, which I assumed was written off. Now,last week I have another collection agency trying to collect about 5000 dollars.....the original limit on the card was only 800! What do I do about this and how do I find out the date for when that statute of limitations would start. I live in a state that has a 15 yr. statute. Any advice? I find it absurd that some collection agency can try to collect 5K for an 800 debt from that long ago.

Thank you!
    Did they call you or send you something in writing. If they called, tell them to put it on paper. When you have something written from them, post some of the details. Although the SOL may not be up, they probably do not have the info they need to validate the debt.

Hope this helps!

LG

PS. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, make any sort of agreements or arrangements until they can prove you owe the debt!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

College Loan Debt & Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Answer Received

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Credit Card Debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a credit card with a limit of $300.00. I lost my job and made a few payment of $25.00 each month for about 3 months. I have not been able to catch up and every month they add $38.00 for late fee and $38.00 for over limit fee. How can I ever get caught up? The balance is now over...

View more questions Search