Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebony1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Widow to Act as Plaintiff
    Brother-in-law passed away but has a pending lawsuit and now his widow/my sister wants to continue lawsuit on his behalf. Is she considered the executrix of his estate and can act on his behalf?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Did he designate her the executrix in his will? Have her get together with the attorney who is handling the case for her husband.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 01:51 PM
    She is, if the will appointed her, or if the probate court appointed her.
    If not the person appointed by the will or the probate could would.
    Now as his wife, if this was a personal suit, she may have a standing as such. But that would depend greatly on the terms of the suit
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Jun 9, 2008, 12:10 PM
    In New York, and I would assume similarly everywhere, you have to apply for Letters of Administration to be in a position to continue the suit. A wife is someone who would have first dibs on the position in most circumstances, but anyone who is appointed would have standing to continue the suit as the appointment places you in the shoes of the deceased Plaintiff.

The sad thing however is that when a plaintiff dies, so does any prosepct of recovering future lost wages and pain and suffering. So the value drops significantly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Widow pension in US [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I'm Spanish and I'm married to an American citizen. We are living in Colorado and I have a US resident card and a social security number. As he has been working for the government, if he dies before me as I am his wife I will receive a widow pension from the government. The thing is that we...

I'm a WOW widow. [ 17 Answers ]

Where do I begin.. I'm an early 20's girl, and I have been with my early 20's boyfriend for 6+ years. Now, I can honestly say that I am an attractive person ; I'm not conceited, I just know that I was blessed with nice looks.. not to mention the being hit on factor. Anyway. As many women say, in...

Is this a Brown WIDOW? [ 4 Answers ]

Widow of an American citizen [ 2 Answers ]

How long should wait the widow of an American citizen for applying for citizenship - 3 or 5 years?

Swindled widow [ 1 Answers ]

I invested in a so called company starting up and selling healthcare benefits. I knew the parties and thought everything was fine. I was given stock certificates in the company and have a written agreement as to the repayment plan they would pay me back my investment. I also have a lien against...

View more questions Search