Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3872lehigh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Credit Debt.
    My grandmother passed away recently. She included me on several credit card accounts where I was an authorized user. Should I now notify the credit companies? How exactly should I start to eliminate the debt? She had a good paying record until she passed, however, it is now impacted on my credit history.

Thanks.
    3872lehigh

>Moved from Intros<
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 08:01 AM
    While the credit reporting agencies do report this type of debt, on the authorized signers credit bureau, it really is not legal to do so.

I believe that eventually, there will be a class action law suit filed to stop this practice.

You are not responsible for the debt, unless you signed something agreeing to that fact.

Write a letter to any creditor that is showing these accounts on your reports. Request that they forward to you a copy of the contract you signed, agreeing to this debt. If they do not do so, you can then request that these accounts be removed from your credit reports.

If she had a estate, and or a will, these issues will be addressed in the settlement of the estate.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Jun 5, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 3872lehigh
    My grandmother passed away recently. She included me on several credit card accounts where I was an authorized user. Should I now notify the credit companies? How exactly should I start to eliminate the debt? She had a good paying record until she passed, however, it is now impacted on my credit history.

Thanks.
    3872lehigh

>Moved from Intros<
    Since you are an AU on the account, the bureaus can report the info. If grandma passed (sorry!), you will need to let them know that.

If it were me, I would write a letter to each cc company letting them know that grandma passed. Include a copy of the death certificate and ask that the accounts be closed and your name be removed from the accounts. Be very direct and tell them that you were on the cards for grandma's convenience and that you did not receive any benefit from them.

I would send CMRRR, but since it is a company, a delivery confirmation is probably OK in this situation.

Once your name is removed, the reference should drop from your credit reports.

LG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Effects on Credit with Debt Not Paid at all VS Debt pain in Settlement [ 2 Answers ]

I lost like 140k in a home foreclosure. The first mortgage bank cancelled my debt and sent me 1099c. The second mortgage bank sold the my loan for $102,500.00 to debt collector. Now Saxon mortgage who currently owns my loan, is giving me an offer to settle with $5000. I can't come up with that...

College Loan Debt & Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Answer Received

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

View more questions Search