Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrislcolwell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 02:43 AM
    Back Tax Properties
    Please anyone with the time to give detailed instructions on this, it would be appreciated. I'm abought to start looking into buying property for the price of the back taxes, what is a few good first steps for someone just starting out(has not made one purchase yet). What's the cheapest you have seen real estate go for?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 04:23 AM
    Most states the county property tax office has a yearly auction of these properties, After they are two to three years behind they will be placed up for auction. The starting bid will be the tax due.

Now in some states you get a tax deed the day of the sale, In other states you will get a tax certificate that you have to hold for 1 to 3 years, that allow the prevous owner time to "redeem" their property, you do get paid a good interest rate if they do redeem.

You have to have cash or an approved cheeck the day of the sale, so there is no time to get loans on the property before you can buy.

So look at what property tax is in your area, what is the tax on a 200,000 home for example, 300 a year, 1000 a year ? 3000 a year, so take what your tax is and assume two or three years tax due, that will be the starting bid. Depending on who is bidding against you, the price may or may not go higher.

If a property does not sell ( not all do) then next year that property may be sold with no starting bid, just to sell for what anyone will pay.

I bought one home ( had a tree sticking though the roof) for about 3000 dollars I bought another one ( had a bum living in it, no air conditioning and had to do a lot of repair) got it for about 5000 dollars

Bought several empty lots for 300 to 1000 dollars.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Jun 5, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislcolwell
    Please anyone with the time to give detailed instructions on this, it would be appreciated. I'm abought to start looking into buying property for the price of the back taxes, what is a few good first steps for someone just starting out(has not made one purchase yet). Whats the cheapest you have seen real estate go for?
    Chris,

The best advice? Turn the channel when you see the infomercial where the "guest" says "I bought this beautiful house worth $200,000 for just $279.82". If the owner had it paid off, do you think they would just give it up like that? How about if there was even a $50,000 mortgage on it? The lender would (usually) not allow you to steal it from them for that kind of money...

There is a lot of $$$ that CAN be made from tax lien certificates, etc. but you really need to research it a lot. Do your due diligence and then do it again.

There are a lot of great buys in real estate right now, but you really have to be careful. If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it. Here's a hint: the money is made by controlling real estate, not necessarily by owning it!

Just be careful.

LG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Back to back toilet when flushed drains the other [ 5 Answers ]

I have two Kolhlar pressure assisted toilets back to back. When the front one flushes it drains the other. I have had the common vent checked by both vision and using a hose to check the vent is clear. I have had this problem for a few years. One plumber recently separated the water flow lines...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

Michael jordan back to back mvp how much is it worth [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how much the Michael jordan back to back mvp is worth. Any one please help1

2 periods back to back with large blood clots! [ 6 Answers ]

I have just stared yet another period after just ending one 5 days ago. I had major pain with the last one, I have never had that kind of pain before. Now with this period I just found an extremely large blood clot. Although it looked more like tissue then an actual bllod clot. What could this be...

View more questions Search