Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TwinkletOes26 Posts: 182, Reputation: 2
    -

Jun 4, 2008, 06:10 PM
    American wanting to move to england
    I have always had a facination with england since I was about 14 and now that I've graduated from college and want to live in england... so the only thing that holds me back is how? I know apply for a passport but what about after that?

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of living in england I mean I want the truth like if someone asked me about pros and cons to living in the us I would say pro: free speech con: george bush lol j/k
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Just read some of the current articles in the alternative news services on the internet such as Jeff Rense at rense.com or David Icke's site and you'll want to visit England and then happily come home and live here. This may not be what you want to hear but so far this country has less nutty newly invented laws than England has right now. Please do a bit of reading about current day England before you want to change places to live. You just might be glad you did.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 5, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Hmm not to sure about your sources there Twinkie.
    David Ike for a start is a complete joke here.
    If you want to know what's going on in England then try the BBC for starters.

As for "nutty newly invented laws" well what can I say, we don't litigate at the drop of a hat and ALL laws apply for the whole country, no separate state and federal stuff here. ;)
    -

Jun 5, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Hey curly ben what's england really like for the avg joe that lives there? How hard would it be for me to get a job (got a bachelors in psych) what about living expenses and r the stereotypes about food in england true? Is there sushi in england ?
    BossMan

Jun 6, 2008, 03:02 PM
    What do you want to know ?
    -

Jun 6, 2008, 03:09 PM
    How hard would it be for me to get a job (got a bachelors in psych) what about living expenses and r the stereotypes about food in england true? Is there sushi in england ? What's the daily routine for most brits ? Please explain tea time to me?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Lol tea time, to me it's the same as your dinner time, e.g. the evening meal, yea we have sushi bars over here also chipy's, kebab shops and generally any kind of take away,
    Id guess that a daily routine would be get up -go to work- come home and have ma tea (dinner) then either out with friends or TV, then bed. Not entirely sure on the job situation for you but ifyou have any questions I can answer I will, gladly :)
    -

Jun 6, 2008, 04:07 PM
    albear have you has tea w the queen I have heard that when english children are in school they frequently have tea w the queen (like in america we all get to go to the zoo in kindergarden) is this true? What do brits usually eat? Thank God there's sushi in the uk I was worried lol
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 04:15 PM
    No I've never had tea with the queen,lol I've only ever seen the queen on TV, lol and generally I don't think most people have had tea with the queen lol especially school children, so id say no it isn't true, as for tea the drink I never touch the stuff, don't like it :). There isn't something that we usually eat everybody has their own tastes, I don't think that you should be worried about food there's bound to be something you like and we generally have a lot of the same foods anyway :)
    -

Jun 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Awsome what about the thing they ut and babies mouths when they are born to help them develop a nice accent is that true? Oh yeah this last one is for my mama she wants to know if there are racist people in england (we are from the south so I figure if you can mke it here anywhere isbetter lol)
    BossMan

Jun 7, 2008, 11:53 PM
    You are referring to to myth of people being born with a "silver spoon" in their mouths.
    This is a reference to being born into an upper class family and nothing to do with speech.

Of course there are racists, they are everywhere even in Africa.
    Racism isn't a simple Black/White occurrence.

Basically UK is the same as USA with some notable exceptions.
    We have weather rather than climate, so we have to rely on the forecast a great deal.
    We drive on the other side of the road.
    We drink beer with flavour.
    And we don't eat squirrel, except on special occasions ;)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26
    awsome what about the thing they ut n babies mouths when they are born to help them develop a nice accent is that true?? Oh yeah this last one is for my mama she wants to know if there are racist ppl in england (we are from the south so i figure if you can mke it here anywhere isbetter lol)
    Twinkle,
    I am not from England but do have friends there... as Ben said racism exists in almost all part of the world to a certain degree.

In England Indian communities may not get on so well with the Pakistani community which has less to do with the English than to do with their age old feud between the two countries and some take it with them wherever they go.

Hope you find some place you like and start anew wherever that maybe.

EDIT:::;I just had a thought!::D
    Maybe you should try for the American Red Cross
    American Red Cross

And then when you have had some experience you can try for the International Red Cross which will obviously mean some sort of travel to other countries as and when required.
    https://jobnet.ifrc.org/public/
    comedian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26
    I have always had a facination with england since i was about 14 and now that ive graduated from college and want to live in england....so the only thing that holds me back is how? i know apply for a passport but what about after that?

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of living in england i mean i want the truth like if someone asked me about pros and cons to living in the us i would say pro: free speech con: george bush lol j/k
    Twinkle, I LOVE ENGLAND for many reasons, however, you can't move there in the same fashion you would move to Vermont, Hawaii or Florida... the UK and Switzerland have one thing in common, THEY Don't ALLOW JUST ANYONE TO WALK IN AND STAY just because that's what they want to do. My advice? QUIETLY... visit as a tourist, meet-marry and then apply to the Home Office to stay. Do not act like "This was a plan" be discreet and smart.
    Don't try and "Just stay" without applying because they will kick you hard across that pond if they catch you leaving to visit anyone or anywhere. And DO NOT use the term "I"m visiting my fiancee"... do not... thats a red flag for TAKING YOU ASIDE AND DECIDING WHAT YOU DID WRONG... (to long to explain here)... as I said, marry then stay then enjoy the best country world wide.
    -

Jul 5, 2008, 09:12 AM
    So are you saying that the process to immagrate to the uk is worse than the one here in the US
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 09:29 AM
    You probably want to talk to an immigration expert about emmegrating here (sorry if spelling is a little off)
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 01:28 PM
    TWinklet you'll love England, just go through the normal legal channels, write down the questions you'd like answers to and you'll be fine.

Not sure if you'll like the weather though... very changeable, in fact you'll need to bring clothes for ever season, especially an umbrella...
    comedian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 09:01 PM

I can imagine how hard it is to immigrate to America but its easier to JUST MARRY and take it from there
    Forget "student visas" etc take the short cut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to move to UK [ 1 Answers ]

Am from UK but family moved away when I was 11. Looking to go back. I am in the process of finishing my bachelor of health and physical education and was wondering if anyone knew any helpful hints or websites that contain a checklist on moving out of the country! Thanks.

American wanting an eu passport [ 2 Answers ]

How do I obtrain an eu passport as an american-

Wanting to move after a divorce? [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I got divorced from someone that was verbally and mentally abusive. We have a child together that is not in school yet. I would love for our child to still maintain a relationship with ex-husband but I also want to move to another state. I want to better our life by starting in another...

I'd like to move to england or france [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any good books and/or websites that have really good information about the inticacies of moving to either england or france and buying a home? :-/

View more questions Search