Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sancho30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued
    I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am unemployed, and money has been extremely tight for years. I am aware that hiring a lawyer is probably the best option, but I am not sure I can afford one. The summons mentions that I have21 days to file a written answer with the court. If I am currently undergoing hardship how do I respond, and to which court as the court of origin is not the court issuing the summons. I would appreciate any help in this matter, or information would be appreciated.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
    The way you can respond to a summons varies by state and county, you need to research the requirements in your location. You can try to work out a settlement or offer in compromise with the Collection Agency before the trial date, but they are not obligated to accept.

You may be able to get an order of garnishment, which would allow the court to order regular payments be deducted from your salary, the amount of which will depend on how much money you are making. If you have no job, then other ways of securing the debt include liens on property.

You need to find out what method is appropriate to respond to the court because it is possible if you do not respond in the approved method within the date specified, the court could rule completely in the Agency's favor.

Reference
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho30 View Post
    I... to which court as the court of origin is not the court issuing the summons. ...
    Please explain further. You would file your answer or other response with the court issuing the summons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am being sued for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a call someone from a law firm named ……and asked me if I wanted to get lawsuit from my credit card company (Bank of America). The unpaid balance was from about 8 years back and when I was I different state (Massachusetts). Now, I am in Illinois and I’ve been getting the letters from the...

Summons received, Being Sued By Credit Card [ 7 Answers ]

Hey Ladies and Gentleman, I received a summons this morning at 7am from a Chase Bank USA stating that I was being sued for a credit card balance of $13500.00, most of which I did charge. The summons states that I have to respond within 20 days, but no court date is on the summons. I have had this...

Being Sued over Credit Card Debt [ 5 Answers ]

I am being sued over credit card debt(4000.00). The papers say that if you don't file an answer by a certain date a judgement will be issued against you. What does this mean? What will happen if I just ignore it. I am in Texas.

Being sued over an old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, I recently was served with papers via a Sherrif's deputy around 2 months ago. I answered the supeona and followed all of the proper channels notifying the bottom feeder collection attorney that bought the debt that the debt was incorrect, not mine, and that the statue of limitations had...

View more questions Search