Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AceH Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Electric Motor AMPS?
    Since I don't see a specific forum for electric motors, I figured this would be a good place for this post.

Approximately how many AMPS would a commercial "2.25 Continuous Horse Power (CHP)" motor use? This motor is on a ProForm Treadmill. There's no mention of amps, watts or any other usage for this motor within the literature for this device.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 4, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Dear AceH

1 HP equals 746 Watts.
    2.25 HP equals 1.679 Watts.
    The rest depends on the voltage and the number of phases you will use.
    At 240 Volt single phase 1.679 Watts equals 7 Amps.
    At 120 Volt single phase 1.679 Watts equals 14 Amps.

Hope this helps !

Jun 4, 2008, 12:29 PM
    If as you state 1 HP equals 746 watts, how can 2.25 HP equal ONLY 1.679 watts? Shouldn't it be 1865 watts?

The reason I asked is I'm was thinking about getting a small window A/C unit as a backup to my central heating and A/C system. The window A/C would be in the same room as the treadmill on the same circuit which has 120v 15 amp circuit.

Window A/C units being considered have the following electrical information:

10500 BTU A/C... Power consumption (W) 970 - Operating current (A) 8.6

8000 BTU A/C... Power consumption (W) 740 - Operating current (A) 6.8
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Europeans use periods like we in the US use commas in writing numerals. 1.679 watts in European is 1,679 US which is 13.99 AMPS at 120 volts. Look at that motor again it should have a nomenclature tag stating all the electric characteristics.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 02:17 PM
    There may be values for VA and SF as well.

Jun 4, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Thanks again. I wasn't aware of the period vs comma issue. The motor is in a housing which is covered. I don't want to open anything so as to void the warranty as this is a new Treadmill.

Thanks again for making me aware of how watts are sometimes presented.

Should I decide to get the window A/C anyway, I just have to remember NOT to run it while using the treadmill. I'm on breakers so at least I won't have to change fuses. :-)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 04:52 PM
    The room may be back to back with another room that could have power taken fom their, if running from panel is not an option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slowing down an electric motor [ 13 Answers ]

I have an electric motor that rotates at 1750 rpm and I would like to slow it to maybe 100n rpm. Is that possible with out gearing?I am looking for an affordable solution. Thank you. Paul

Electric motor wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hayward motor c48k2n143b1 and I cut the wires from the breaker switch to put a intamatic timer in the system. Somehow I rewired it wrong it keeps burning out the clock timer. It will run manually. But something is wrong. It has a green (ground?)and two red. So I have two red wires that...

Cost to upgrade from 100 amps to 200 amps and ground [ 4 Answers ]

StanFortyMan has made a lot of sense about my needs in a home with a 100 AMP Service.. I would like to upgrade to 200 amps.. with some ground sockets(or whatever this is called) and put in more sockets... The house is 1300 square feet... does anyone have a guestimate of costs?? Thanks, Annie

Electric motor [ 2 Answers ]

How does electric motor works?

Wiring a GE electric motor [ 5 Answers ]

HI, I have a GE motor on my table saw that was wired for 220vac. I want to change it back to 110vac. Problem is that the wiring plate is missing. Motor number is 5KC49TG1458X IT'S A 2HP motor Currently it has the following wires connected motor has 4 threaded studs marked 1-2-3-4- Power...

View more questions Search