Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NMK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2005, 04:02 PM
    90' Accord doesn't start at all
    I have the same problem. My '90 Accord won't start when it is hot. This is happening for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday, I changed the air filter, spark plugs and the wires, the distributor cap and the rotor inside it. After changing all this, I cranked up my car and it started just fine. I kept it running and after 3-4 minutes it just died. It was yesterday evening and not "hot" at all. I've been trying to start it ever since but it just cranks but won't start. Now, I'm not sure if I have a bad main relay or something else is a problem. I tried listening to the main relay "click" after setting the key in the ON position and I can hear it clicking. Some people mention that if you can hear your main relay "click" then the main relay is fine. I'm totally confused and not sure what needs to be done. At this point my car doesn't start at all, no matter how cold or hot it is outside. Please help.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Oct 3, 2005, 04:05 PM
    It seems your main relay is fine. Try the FAQ for procedures on how to check for spark and gas. Come back with results. Also, read out error codes on your ECU.
    kijun719 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2005, 01:39 PM
    Cold Weather Problem
    I have a '98 Honda Accord and it was fine all throughout summer but ever since it has been getting colder in NYC its having trouble starting.
    I had no problems starting the car last winter.
    I had friends jump the car and that didn't work at the time so I had it towed to a shop and when it got there they said it started fine.
    So I brought it back and a few days later it didn't start again, waited about an hour then it just started up fine.
    This happened again this week but this time I had to wait about 3 hours before I could get it to start and this time it had trouble starting.
    I brought it into the shop and they were like there's nothing wrong with it.
    I think its whenever I don't use the car for more than 24 hours then it won't start.
    Haven't actually had much time to test this theory since I need the car to get to work.

Also, now power windows and power locks are not working after the last time it failed to start.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!!

If anyone can help me with this

Oct 5, 2005, 10:34 PM
    Next time your car won't start, try checking for spark. Read the FAQ for checking the spark. If it's missing a spark, we'll know it's spark related. If it's getting spark, then try checking if it's getting gas. That will (at least generally) isolate the problem between not getting spark and not getting gas.

Oct 6, 2005, 04:17 PM
    This Morning
    I wake up this morning and the temperature is about mid 60's and I start up the car but it just struggles and never catches. I hear the rotation of the belt but nothing starts. I am not too familiar with cars so where can I find the spark plugs?

Oct 6, 2005, 04:18 PM
    Power Windows/Locks
    After the trouble with the car, my rightside power window does not work and all my power locks are not functioning. Did I blow my fusebox by keep on trying to start the car?
    asingh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2005, 09:09 AM
    I have the same problems
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyj
    I have a 1998 honda accord that don't won't to start all the time. * I have read that other honda owners are having this problem. *I have had a mechanic to look at the car and of course the car starts with him my husband is trying to figure this out. *I think I am going to contact the main Honda headquarters and see if this is a problem that might need a recall. *This is such a pain. Im' afraid to drive my honda. I would like to know have any one found the solution? *Thanks ladyj
    asingh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2005, 09:13 AM
    I have faced same situation four five times. I just park to go bank, I came back did not start. When I am using self to start ,the battery were down.
    I had to give jump start. I changed the new battery and I am not having any problem since one month.
    s7powers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2005, 08:28 PM
    00 Accord Stall Problems
    I have been having frequent start-up problems with my 2000 v6 3.0 accord. When I turn it on, it starts up for a split second then the engine stalls. In order for me to keep it running, I rev the engine and quickly switch it into gear and press on the gas before the RPMs have a chance to drop and the engine has a chance to shut off. So far I have had no stalling problems while driving; all of the stalling problems are at start-up. Also, when I got my car to start today, after repeated attempts, I noticed the check engine light was on. I'm not exactly a "know-it-all" when it comes to cars, so I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to handle this problem.
    bizzy11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2005, 10:23 PM
    1998 honda accord stall
    A little bit of research on the internet made my life easier! I also had the same problem with my 98 accord. Sometimes I would be driving and the car would just die. Sometimes I could start it back up and sometimes it would take about 5 or more cranks for engine to start up. Car would start up and right away die. I found that honda has a recall on lots of their vehicles for the same problem, which is caused by the ignition system. I called honda and they took my car and replaced the ignition fro free at the dealer. It turns out that there was a safety recall for this problem for my vehicle. Safety recalls never expire no matter who the owner is or how many miles on the vehicle. Good luck honda owners.
    imminence Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2005, 03:30 PM
    Everyone else seems to be having trouble starting their car when it's hot outside, pointing the problem being the main relay. I just begun having problems with my 98 Accord V6 today, but it's about 45-50 degrees F outside. The car cranked fine as usual, but wouldn't start. I didn't notice any specific problems and never had any issues previously. Tried cranking a handful of times with no luck so I checked the ignition wires. Looked fine. Checked for the fuel pump humming, which was present. Tried cranking several times again with no luck.

Oddly enough, once I took the key out of the ignition and tapped it several times on my palm, the car started right up. I tried to duplicate the same problem, by turning the car off and re-starting. The car didn't start. So I took the key out of the ignition, tapped it several times on my palm, it it started right up.

Could it possibly be the key that's giving so many people problems? Is that a stupid assumption? Please help. Thanks in advance.
    imminence Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2005, 01:50 AM
    I just ran some tests, experimented, and took some notes. Turns out that my problem is indeed a bad key. :eek:

Long story short, I stick the key in the ignition, turn to the on position, and the vehicle immobilizer system indicator (the green key indicator light on the dash) keeps blinking. So basically, the car doesn't recognize the key, the immobilizer system kicks in, and doesn't allow the engine to start.

I guess it's time to either go the stealership to get my key reprogrammed or, gasp... spend over a hundred bucks to get a new key.

Hope this helps people with '98+ Accords/Hondas with the immobilizer system experiencing engine start-up problems.
    kellby Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jan 24, 2006, 10:01 AM
    My 98 Honda Accord won't start
    :mad: I have this 98 Honda Accord that won't start. I am so lost. The engine light was on and one forum told us that the gas cap might not be on tight. They said it will take a couple of trips to turn off but to twist it on tight and it will go off. It went off. Well once again the gas light turned on Saturday night and now this morning my car won't start. The car will turn over but that is it. Any ideas?
    crysc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Check engine light came on too
    My check engine light came on yesterday morning. I know that I need a timing belt which will be replaced tomorrow. But I can't fingure out why the check engine light came on I am going to have it hooked up at auto zone but if anyone here could help I would appreciate it. The car doesn't want to go sometimes. I will be sitting still or driving and try to excellerate and it will rev but not go. I think this is a timing belt issue but not sure if related. Thanks for help. :confused:
    98nostart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 01:35 PM
    New comment
    I have a 98 accord coupe V6. I have been having the same problems with my car not starting. A mechanic put in a new alternator a month ago and my car still has trouble starting. It seems mine does it when it is really hot or I just put gas in my car. I no longer turn my car off to put gas in, I always leave it running. I am getting frustrated because I can't get anyone to fix the actual problem. Any suggestions?
    jcsickz Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2006, 05:39 PM
    before I start... yesrocks - please kill yourself. We are trying to find help, so your forum spam is pretty annoying.

my 4 cylinder 1998 accord coupe has not been starting on hot days for the last three years. Up until last summer, I had always just kept trying and trying until it started. Last summer, it started to take longer, and longer (up to 3-4 hours) to finally start. Thank god I work from home, because I am sure I would have been fired 10x over if I had a job somewhere. I've brought my accord to mechanics who (of course) it started just fine for. I first suspected the starter and battery, both of which have been replaced in the last 30 days, so we know that's not the problem.

Someone said that this problem was covered under recall. That will be my first option, because its free. I will reply after I talk to them and post my results. Let's figure this out together.

Mar 1, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Did you manage to find out if it's gas or spark you're not getting when your car doesn't want to start?

By the way, I'd bet you have a bad Main Relay (if that year accord still uses a Main Relay). Try to locate it, take it out, resolder it's joints and put it back in. See the FAQ for more details on it.
    florin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2006, 11:55 AM
    If your 1998 honda accord has over 140000 miles, I tell you for sure the fuel pump is almost Dead that's why your car STALLS sometime!! fuel pump is located in trunk,you can replace it in 1 hour. Florin

1998 1999 Honda Accord stalls while driving -the problem is the fuel pump!! Is located in the trunk in 1 hour if you are ambitios your problem is fix and your engine will run without any problems. Florin
    2005Civic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 12:45 AM
    I have a 2005 Honda Ex Civic, and I am experiencing some difficulties when starting the engine. It just started a few days ago, and realized something is going wrong. Sometimes when I try to start, a GEE sound will come up, then sometimes it just won't start like I turned all the way to start the engine and nothing happens, no sound, no GEE sound no nothing. It's really unpredictable. When the weather is REALLY cold or REALLY hot, it would happen more often. I don't know what to do and I'm afraid of driving now because it happens more and more. Is anyone experiencing the same difficulties as I am? Can anyone give me advice? Should I go to an auto garage to explain? But it doesn't happen all the time, It only happens when I drive the vehicle, when someone else drives it, it doesn't happen. Is something wrong with the starter? Or the whole ignition process? Any advice, please!

-2005 Civic
    florin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Honda Accord 1998 model and your car is still STALLING while you driving,or is Starting Very Hard,your problem is Ignition Switch ,it is positioned behind your steering wheel and you have acces to it if you remove the plastic cap covers,. ignition switch looks like a white plastic capsule with 5 wires on it,and it has a black plastic on it as a protection against accidental shorts ,remove the "belly" panel under your steerring wheel so you have better access when you remove the ignition switch (3 philips screws),disconect the battery when you work. Florin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

98 1998 Honda Accord Ex Temperature Jumps Up And Down [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody.. I have a 98 honda accord coupe ex v-6 with 87000 miles on it.. the problem I'm having is sometimes when the car is in drive or park for a few minutes the temperature gauge will go really high like the car is running hot.. the fans will come on but the gauge will still be really...

1998 Honda Accord LX - starter problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX that will not start - the engine will not turn over. This happened one time about 3 weeks ago and I was going to purchase a new starter (which I did about 3 years ago) but saw some information that it might be a main relay issue, but the car started every time I tried...

1998 honda Accord starter problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have the same problem with my 98 accord as was posted many months ago and wondered if anyone had solved their problem. I just tried to start the car and although the starter could be heard spinning, it didn't engage the ring gear and so the engine didn't turn over. I have removed the starter...

1998 honda accord won't start. [ 0 Answers ]

I need some help. My car ran out of gas two weeks ago and hasn't started since. I put more gas in the tank and when I tried to fire it up it wouldn't start. I thought that it might be the fuel system, e.g. fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, but after running some simple diagnostics, decided to...

1998 Honda Accord Running Problem [ 7 Answers ]

This problem just started recently. When I start my car, it doesn't have enough power to move. I push the pedal and the engine starts to stall. It never stalls, but it comes close. If I push the gas a little more, it comes back to life and stutters a bit. After about 2-5 minutes of driving the...

View more questions Search