Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    busterbama Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 05:03 PM
    Installing artificial stack rock.
    I have recently completed the construction of a wrap deck. It is supported with 14 concrete block columns ranging from about 6 to 10 feet tall. I am in the process of installing artificial stack rock on the columns. This is taking much longer than I anticipated, largely due to working with the mortar and trying to keep the stones clean as I work. After 7 days, I have completed 1 and 1/2 of the tallest columns. I just heard from a friend to use liquid nails instead of mortar. Do you recommend this? If so, should I spread a layer of mortar against the block, let that dry and then use the liquid nails? My thought on this is that you would not see block or the seams in the back ground of the rock. Also, would this be much more costly than the cement. I'm using type "N" cement. Thank you in advance for your suggestions. Steven Mains, Talladega, AL
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2008, 04:12 PM
    To make the process go quicker I would recommend to wrap your vertical columns in reinforcing wire or chicken wir similar to the process found in this free ebook: Artificial Rock - Instructional guide and online store

This will assist you in having concrete climb the vertical surfaces which should speed up your poject.

I hope this information is helpful.

Cheers.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools & Artificial Rock
    Vancouver, BC
    604-421-8429
    1-888-267-0802
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 08:37 AM
    That was great ebook on building rock. You have made te correct choice. Type N and type S are both appropriate masonary cements for laying block, brick and rock. I am afrain that liquid nails will not provide a water tight seal and allow moisture to get behind the block and possibly fail. Howvere liquid nails is like duct tape, always have some around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to locate "artificial flagstone" for purchase. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey there, Trying to find out where I can locate and purchase a pre-made flagstone type paver. I had seen a show on one of those cable home improvement channels and I can't seem to find what they were using. The product if anyone is familiar with it is "flagstone" type flat stones with a few of...

Kid rock [ 2 Answers ]

I heard that Kid Rock has a well known father, but I didn't catch the name. Does anyone know anything about this?

Lab ate a rock [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month old lab threw up a good sized rock in the middle of the night. He seems to be fine now but should I be concerned about anything internal that may have been hurt?

Hit a rock [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Sears Craftsman 2.0 mower. I hit a rock and now the mower is making noise. It still operates, still cuts, but the pullstart wire vibrates like crazy and it sounds like something is striking underneath. The blade looks okay and I don't see any apparent damage underneath. Any ideas?

View more questions Search