Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nursbette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Removing old info
    Hey You I'm here in Texas,and I know the SOL is 4 years... Question is how do I get negative reports totaling 14,000 from my report,both are over7-8 years old. Can I just write a letter asking them to remove them ? Or what.. my score is still down be cause of a tax lien, but would improve to about 700with these other items gone.

Thanks for any and all responses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Well first the SOL has nothing to do with how long it remains on your credit report, it will stay on your report for up to 7 years from date of last activity. So if it has been over that long, you can contact them and ask for it to be removed.

Judgements will stay on for up to 10 years.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 08:30 PM
    You will need to write to all three of the main credit reporting agencies. These are Experian, Equifax and Trans Union. If the time limit is past, they will remove the listing and send you confirmation of the removal.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Jun 4, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nursbette
    Hey Ya'll I"m here in Texas,and I know the SOL is 4 years...Question is how do I get negative reports totaling 14,000 from my report,both are over7-8 years old. Can I just write a letter asking them to remove them ? Or what..my score is still down be cause of a tax lein, but would improve to about 700with these other items gone.

Thanks for any and all responses.
    Generally, negative items CAN be removed 7 years from the date of last activity. Although the account may have been open 7 years, if you made a payment or generated any activity, that could renew it. Regardless, you can dispute the information and see if it comes off. Legally, the info does not HAVE to be on the report 7 years, 7 months or even 7 minutes.

With that said, if the info is really 7 years old, do not expect much of a boost when it is removed - probably only a handful of points. Since the more recent a negative item, the greater the impact on your score, an older item like that has minimal impact.

If you have a low score, you might want to look at the other items also and find out why.

Hope this helps.

LG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need some info [ 3 Answers ]

Hello; What website , can I go 2 , for senior citizens . Thank you Joseph21

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

Anyone have any info on this for me? [ 1 Answers ]

We have been unable to locate records on the puppy we adopted so we took him to the vet. The initial visit went well she said he is a prime example of a dauchaund. Not fat and full of energy. They took a stool sample though to verify things. Well today the vet called to say our dog has Giardia ?...

View more questions Search