Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KII Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Bad or good!!
    Dear exerts ,

How can you tell whether your spirituality is in the right direction or wrong??

Regards
    Navid
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2006, 04:36 PM
    It is hard to say exactly, because spirituality is defined in different ways for different people. Spirituality depends on many different factors including religion. My thoughts is that, learning how to love one another, even strangers, even enemies. You learn how to react in a loving way even when people are treating you terribly, and no matter what are able to forgive others. Love is the greatest gift we can share and if we are able to show love always even in the most difficult times then I would say in my own opinion, you are in the right direction.

Joe
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Hi, KII,
    Do you attend any type of spiritual or religious services?
    If so, you should be able to make up your mind, listening to others, listening to what is being taught, and watching the actions of others around you.
    If you are not attending any services at all, then it will be hard for you to know, and understand, what that particular spiritual or religious belief is.
    Your answer before mine has all the things I would look for in others around you. I do wish you the best.
    earthpages Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Mar 6, 2006, 11:49 PM
    I would say that a sincere attempt to be on the right path probably is the right path. Because even the most achieved saints report moments of doubt. Sri Ramakrishna in India at times thought he was losing it. And St. Faustina Kowalska in the Catholic tradition also had moments of despair. The other thing I would suggest is that broadly speaking there are two main types of spirituality. Psychologists call the first type "inflation" where one comes to identify with a spiritual force. This can lead to self-aggrandizement, which I don't necessarily think is the best thing. The other type is marked by humility. This latter type keeps our ego in check and we are centered in our own individual core. We don't think we're gods on Earth. Rather, we look to God to do the right thing. I believe there's a huge difference between these two types—the one is egotistical, the other humble. Likewise, the one type often talks about love while the other truly loves.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Mar 7, 2006, 05:47 PM
    If you abhor what is evil, than I think you're o.k.
    phildebenham Posts: 95, Reputation: 9

Mar 9, 2006, 08:56 AM
    I stand for the authority of the Scripture (Bible). In so far as I follow the scripture my "spirituality" (my walk with God) is on the right path.
    Homecoming Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

May 30, 2006, 06:37 PM
    When we are on the right path everything goes well for us. Doors open, were at the right place at the right time. There is a warm energy eminating from us. But if we keep getting kicked, meeting dead ends, loose friendships, jobs, houses etc
    I would suggest taking the fork in the road
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 2, 2006, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homecoming
    When we are on the right path everything goes well for us. Doors open, were at the right place at the right time. There is a warm energy eminating from us. But if we keep getting kicked, meeting dead ends, loose friendships, jobs, houses etc I would suggest taking the fork in the road
    Suppose an atheist dictator has many friends, doors keep opening and everything is going exceptionally well for him and he meets no dead ends. He seems to be always at the right places at the right time. There is also this warm energy he feels emanating from all the hormones which accompany his repeated dictatorial political victories? Then what?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 2, 2006, 09:46 PM
    I consider it wise to compare writings on subjects as well as observations I make in the world. I consider that obligatory homework and without it, I don't feel qualified to have an opinion on a subject or form much of a belief one way or the other. When I see repeated confirmation of something, especially in both places, well, that gets my attention!

In this way, I learn what to do as well as what not to do. My spirituality, having been researched in this fashion, is fundementally based on my understanding that our creator set all this up so that it can work for everyone equally well, which certainly rules out any exclusive or selfish actions.

If it can't pass that basic test, then I would suggest its not universal enough to be spirituality.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 2, 2006, 10:35 PM
    When you have the faith that your actions are based on your relationship with the GOD you understand and you believe that the choices you make work for the greater good and not just for personal gain then I would think you are on the right path.
    -

Jun 3, 2006, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    When you have the faith that your actions are based on your relationship with the GOD you understand and you believe that the choices you make work for the greater good and not just for personal gain then I would think you are on the right path.
    Didn't Hitler have faith and understood and believed that his choices were approved by God and that his actions worked for the better good and not just his personal gain? Was he on the right path?
    Expert

Jun 4, 2006, 05:06 AM
    Sorry Starman, MY take on Hitler is much different. He may have been brilliant ,but he was also a drug induced ego-manic who spread hatred of others that were of a different race. He also wanted to conquer the world by force which cost a lot of lives!:cool:
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Just like peeling an onion. There is a new lesson to learn with each layer that is stripped away. It may not get easier to peel the next layer away, it gets harder, but the lesson learned gets us closer to the core or ultimate truth.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Jun 4, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Your Spirituality is moving in the RIGHT direction if you become a Born-again Christian and you follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit within you.

The spirit is the highest part of man.The most powerful part of our being. Our soul and body being the other parts.

The spirit stands for the highest elements by which we comprehend spiritual truths. It is the part that deals with right and wrong behavior.

So it is safe to say one's spirit is righteous in my particular religion.
    Homecoming Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

Jun 4, 2006, 11:58 PM
    I am yet to find a dictator like Hitler who emanated such kindness that people bent over backwards to accommodate.
    Dictators rule people with fear and intimidation. If you ever find yourself in the presence of someone who is so intimidating that you can not speak your peace with out the fear of retribution, you need to run like wind.
    Hitler was only at that place at that time because humanity didn't care about other people. It was such a dog fight dog society people cared little over who lived and who died. That is one of the wonderfully outcomes of the second world war it brought humanity to the world. We can no longer ignore atrocities that happen anywhere in the world.
    Long live peace
    -

Jun 5, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Sorry Starman, MY take on Hitler is much different. He may have been brilliant ,but he was also a drug induced ego-manic who spread hatred of others that were of a different race. He also wanted to conquer the world by force which cost a lot of lives!:cool:
    I think you misunderstood me. I was not attempting to praise Hitler. The purpose of my statement was to show that the subjective criteria of how one feels isn't sufficient to base the conclusion of certainty on. Hitler FELT he was right. If we are to go by feelings, as was previously suggested, then he was justified in believing himself on the right path. Something with which I disagree.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 03:06 PM
    As far as Hitler goes, He and most of the German people just wanted rid of the Jewish people that were stepping up too high on the socio/economical ladder, leaving the Germans way behind. Hitler made the statement that German people would no longer be shining Jew's shoes. So, with that in mind, how far down the same path are we in regard to our own emigration problems and the huge influx of hispanics that seem to be "taking our jobs and welfare?" This might be a good time to self analyze our motives to gauge just what measure of "spiritual prudence" we are really using this moment. Remember, if we forget our history we are doomed to repeat it. Do we really, in GOD'S eyes, think we are more deserving than anyone else of the comforts of life we now possess? Or, would the spiritually correct thing to do be to open our arms and borders to help any and all?- Quite unlike Hitler did. Have we learned anything concerning the depth and bredth of Hitler's "spiritual prudence?" Does the good ole USA own and operate any concentration camps at this very moment? If we do then it would be easy to put the border jumpers in them. Would it not? ;)
    Expert

Jun 5, 2006, 03:45 PM
    Your right Starman feelings are not enough to know if your path is right or not ,but as Magprob has said actions are also a gauge to being on the right path also the motivation behind the actions plays a part.
    -

Jun 6, 2006, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    This might be a good time to self analyze our motives to gauge just what measure of "spiritual prudence" we are really using this moment. ;)
    Case in point-Manifest Destiny idea which created our present borders.
    Mankind tends to use reasoning ability to justify satisfaction of needs and justification of emotions. Under this condition they feel they are on the right path and blessed by God.
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Starman, haven't you or do you now know of someone that is really evil or wicked or greedy but still trick themselves into thinking that they are one of the best Christian folk walking this planet ? How can people lie to themselves and justify their negative traits into being OK? I think we need a Psycologist to explain that. As with Hitler, we saw the same thing but also an entire race of people doing it right along with him. How did Jim Jones convince all those people that Kool Aid was the right thing for them. I just do not understand the dynamics of it. All I know is that I have a built in Karma detector that goes off when I start to feel weak to greed, meaness and all those other things that tempt us. I know I will pay 100 fold for one indiscretion, therefore, I save myself the grief and just do what is right. It is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, it doesn't take too long to learn not to hit yourself in the head with a hammer. Some folks just never learn though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Here is another good one. [ 1 Answers ]

What PMS Really Stands For: 13. Psychotic Mood Shift 12. Pack My Stuff 11. Permanent Menstrual Syndrome

Good or bad? [ 19 Answers ]

So there is this guy at work who I get on with really well. We are always telling each other jokes and having a laugh. However, he has recently startd being overly nice. Everyday I come into work, he will shout hello and then follow with "you look very nice today" - it's really nice and made...

Looking for the good in all: [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, How can we find the good in others? Does religion help us to be kinder to others? What do you thinK? Take care, Hope12

Too good, I know but... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've seen the attached scheme since before email was big. It seems even more posible if you incorporate the internet as the attached message suggest. What I'd like to know if it is illegal and if it is then why. I didn't include the personal info of the people participating but you get...

View more questions Search