Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsweet1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Homeowner Liability. Who is covered
    My friend purchased a home with his fiance'. I was put in her name because of some business concerns. My friend has always made the payments on the house. She left sometime ago They agreed he could stay in the house. He has continued to pay for the home and the insurance as part of martgage payment. He has never lived anywhere else since the house was purchased. The VA required the HO insurance to be in the purchasers name.

Is he covered under the liability portion of the HO policy since he was originally covered (as fiance'), has always paid the Mortgage as well as the HO premium?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Hello b:

You haven't given me any reasons to believe that he ISN'T covered. But, of course, I don't know the details of the policy, or the requirements of the mortgage.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Is he named on the insuance policy in addition to his ex? If he isn't specifically named he has no coverage for liability. I think your friend has made some bad decisions and should have gotten her name off the title, this is not his property and she could claim it back or sell without his permission. He is little more than a tenant even though he is paying the mortgage and insurance.
    readersr Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 07:32 PM
    As ballengerb1 implied, he is a tenant and such if he is not a named insured or listed as an additional insured he has no rights under the homeowners policy. He would need to purchase tenant insurance for his belongings and also to pick liability coverage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 07:43 PM
    The coverage is for the home, in case someone is hurt on the property of the home. The insurance policy should list all of the owners of the property ( if various names on deed) If he is not on the deed and not listed on the policy as owner, He in fact needs a renters policy to cover his liabiity and his belongings
    readersr Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Just to touch on fr_chuck's response any named insured or additional named insured has liability that extends also away from the premises, i.e. you damage someones' property at their house or you cause injury to someone off your premises.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by readersr
    Just to touch on fr_chuck's response any named insured or additional named insured has liability that extends also away from the premises, ie, you damage someones' property at their house or you cause injury to someone off your premises.

Would you clarify what type of insurance you are explaining - homeowners? At least in NYS you are most definitely not 100% correct here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowner Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental condo on the 9th floor in an 11 story poured in place concrete and steel building. I carry a liability insurance policy on this property. If there is water damage to a unit below me (hot water heater valve malfunction causing flooding) will this liability policy cover the damage to...

Homeowner liability off premise [ 1 Answers ]

Someone accusing me of being at fault when our dogs passed, hers entangled mine, she fell, she got up and said nothing hurt, went on our ways. Now I have letter from law firm I'm at fault and want my homeowner liability insurance info. What should I do?

Homeowner liability in case of a roommate [ 2 Answers ]

I am a homeowner planning to rent a portion to a roommate. If I include a clause that specifies that I cannot be held responsible for any injury that she might sustain due to an accident on my premises, and she slips and falls on the stairs, will the agreement be valid in Colorado courts ?

What is it, and why is it covered? [ 28 Answers ]

For the past couple of years now of walking my dog around the neighborhood, I can't help but wonder what is this upside down U-shaped tube thing in everybody's yard. It is wrapped sometimes with what looks like a black garbage bag and some are wrapped with a thick tape. What is this thing?...

Homeowner liability [ 20 Answers ]

As a homeowner renting out a room, can my roommate sue me if she has a slip and fall type accident on my property?

View more questions Search