Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hawk9972 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Lossing muscle in her head and having problems with her hind legs?
    Why is my dog lossing muscle in her head and having problems with her hind legs? She has lost almost all the muscles in her head. She is also having a lot of trouble with her hind legs as if she can't feel or support herself with them.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 02:05 PM
    She doesn't have muscles in her head, hawk. You don't say what kind of dog you have, but I have the feeling it is a big dog, old and has hip displasia. Please let us know. Are you having to carry her out to do her business, are you helping her in any way ?
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 3, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Actually dogs do have muscles in their head, they are just more noticeable in some breeds than others. You are usually only aware of them if they start to waste away--in fact that's what makes me concerned that it could be some type of systemic problem causing generalized muscle atrophy.
    I agree with Tickle that the most likely problem with the hind legs would be hip dysplasia in an older, large breed dog.
    Can you tell us more about her age, breed, and how fast or slow these problems developed? Can you feel the bony ridges in her head more easily than you used to? How about the muscles along the shoulder blades and either side of the spine?
    In any case, the dog needs to see her vet pronto. Please let us know what you find out.
    MEDIstaff4u Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 12:56 AM
    I have had ferrets that get adrenal disease, and this causes the animal to waste away just as u are describing.

Also, parvo causes similar problems. These are just some ideas you can ask your vet about.

And all animals have muscles in there head, or else how would they move their mouth, eyes, ears, and throat? They actually have several muscles.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 04:23 AM
    MEDIstaff4U, I actually realize that animals do have muscles in their head to mov e mouth, eyes, ears and throat. For some reason at the moment of posting I was having a 'senior moment' and that absolutely came out wrong.
    SHERRYANDGREG Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Jun 5, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Your dog should be seen by a vet. There are diseases which make the muscles waste away. Which could also affect the muscles in the legs.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Something like that happened to one of my cats the day when he was dying of old age, late on the night before he passed away. He started moving his head from side to side, like he couldn't control the muscles in his neck. He lost the ability to stand on his own at the same time. I don't know what causes that to happen, but I would really like to know the answer to that, too.

How old is your dog? Have you noticed any other symptoms? Is he eating?

He should definitely see a vet as soon as possible.
    reneewo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 06:34 AM
    When a dog loses muscle on his head it can be a sign of heart disease.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 07:00 AM

Year old thread and OP never came back - closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pulled Muscle Need a way to strengthen and relax the muscle [ 4 Answers ]

Hi... my problem is in my right leg the quad muscle I can barely walk on my leg and its next to impossible to run, I was playing softball in the cold weather of Ohio, and I went to hit the ball and as I started to run my leg (quad) started hurting and I wasn't able to stand on it... I am looking...

Severe muscle tightness in both legs [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I've Been having muscle tightness in both of my legs I went to a Dr. and she did some test which included test for M.S which were negative, when walking my legs start feeling very tired and tight, I stop for a while and continue, it will take me 45 minutes to walk from the corner to my house, I...

Long term problems on Napryson (muscle relaxant)? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been taking Napryson (muscle relaxant) for over 15 years 1 tab 2 times a day for muscle spasms. Just this week I was cut back by the doctor and pharmacy stating that Napryson was a short term drug and should not be taken over 60 day period and it can cause problems in later years. Could...

Hind legs [ 5 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel is 6 years old and about 10lbs. Overweight. He ran down the stairs too fast and somehow hurt his hind legs. I noticed that he was trying to balance himself but kept falling. I took him to the vet and the vet said he really couldn't say exactly what was wrong. From the x-rays he...

Muscle spasms in legs and arms [ 4 Answers ]

Both my legs and arms (mostly my left arm and right leg) have muscle spasms where it causes the skin that is close to the bone or just the skin to feel tight and it feels as if the muscles are ripping or contracting. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? Edit: you can move this to the...

View more questions Search