Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eaas123 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Fear Of Riding A Different Horse
    OK people I have another question to ask you lot OK here it is,Ive been riding for ages but ever since the beginning of January I have a phobia of riding a certain horse he's huge he's about 16hh and my fear of him began in January when I started riding him he was very 'New & Fresh' that my instructor even fount it hard to control him he always started breaking into a canter when I asked him to walk and started bucking when I asked him to ride a circle.But worse happened in April I had a new instructor as my normal one was ill and I was riding him in a circle again he then started to break into a canter then he just leaped into the air and did a huge buck bigger than the ones he had ever done and I landed on my side screaming in pain I have to get back on him what should I do?
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Jun 3, 2008, 11:45 AM
    You should continue to work with him. Has he had 60 days of riding yet or have you just been occasionally riding him? If he hasn't been to a trainer yet I would recommend you send him off to school. To me it sounds as though he still needs broke. Work with him on a lunge line every day. Be consistent. I just now remembered though that I had problems with my original bit and he would act very similar to this. I changed my bit from a snaffle to I think it's just called a cowboy bit. I forget. Anyway, once I changed he quit fighting against it. My horse is 16hh also. He has a wonderful personality. The biggest thing I like about him is when we gallup we can cover some ground very quickly without effort. And he is very smooth. Good luck and let me know how you're doing. :)

Jun 5, 2008, 12:41 PM
    He's not mine he belongs to a woman who lets him be used at the riding school I go to. He's about 12 but he acts like a 4 year old I ride him very regularly more than any of the other horses there. But I still haven't got the bond with him I have with all the other horses and he puts his ears back every time I go near him.Everyone rides him in a snaffle and he seems pretty happy with that he hasn't been fighting.He is more lively in the outdoor school than the indoor school but I just don't get it he's a joy to hack out with on the roads but he just starts to play up when we ride in the outdoor school.
    ntroyn Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Does anyone else have the same problem with him when they ride him in the ring? Do you use the same saddle and type of pad that everyone else does? Is the saddle always positioned in the same place? Does he have any soundness issues or back issues or anything else that could be causing him pain when he's worked in a circle or has to do any "correct" bending? Is your riding style any different than the other riders? Do you ask more of him (more correctness in his movement, etc) than the other riders? I realize I'm asking a lot of questions here, but sometimes you have to go through and eliminate all the variables to figure out where the problem lies. If still no answer, you can always see if they'll let you work with him on the ground (lunging, etc) so that he's listening and responding appropriately to you, before you try to work with him on his back.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2008, 12:18 AM
    He may need to work out some of his excess energy before settling down in the ring. Can you take him out? If you were to let him run and enjoy being outside with you, he may bond to you.

Jul 19, 2008, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ntroyn
    Does anyone else have the same problem with him when they ride him in the ring? Do you use the same saddle and type of pad that everyone else does? Is the saddle always positioned in the same place? Does he have any soundness issues or back issues or anything else that could be causing him pain when he's worked in a circle or has to do any "correct" bending? Is your riding style any different than the other riders? Do you ask more of him (more correctness in his movement, etc) than the other riders? I realize I'm asking a lot of questions here, but sometimes you have to go through and eliminate all the variables to figure out where the problem lies. If still no answer, you can always see if they'll let you work with him on the ground (lunging, etc) so that he's listening and responding appropriately to you, before you try to work with him on his back.
    Every one rides him in the same saddle and everyone rides him in a blue polypad and yes the saddle is always positioned in the same place.No he is very sound I've checked. Everyone at the riding school has a different riding style. It depends if his movement is not how it should be.

Jul 19, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    He may need to work out some of his excess energy before settling down in the ring. Can you take him out? If you were to let him run and enjoy being outside with you, he may bond to you.

Ive started to bond with him more now he's started to put his ears forward now and I didn't even have to take him outside I just spend about an hour with him in his stall a week.
    ntroyn Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eaas123
    every one rides him in the same saddle and everyone rides him in a blue polypad and yes the saddle is always positioned in the same place.No he is very sound ive checked. Everyone at the riding school has a different riding style. It depends if his movement is not how it should be.
    If you're saying that he bucks when his movement isn't as it should be, this isn't all that uncommon. Ever take a mis-step yourself and then do a bit of a hop stumble move to correct it, etc. Now picture this while carrying something (especially a back pack that isn't perfectly packed and balanced). Also, saddle pressure on a horse can be constantly changing depending on weight changes, muscle changes, and different types of movement. Some horses will react to balance changes or foibles, or any saddle, foot or other discomfort by bucking, racing, stopping, throwing their head up on canter depart, rearing, etc. Then again, sometimes they can just be in "a mood".
    Since the horse you describe is better on the trail than in the ring, unless he's ring sour, I wouldn't be surprised if he's having balancing issues on his turns (on the trail, the horse is focusing ahead and doesn't have to be dictated to by the rider every step so he'll balance himself more naturally, etc). Could be a saddle fitting issue, could be a physical issue (not necessarily a lameness), or could be a balance issue (horse's or rider's part or both).
    Take your time with him, as it sounds like you're doing. Keep an eye on his reactions to different things and situations and you may find more and more of a pattern emerging which will help you to figure out how to keep him a better partner for you.
    Good luck
    DebBra55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 09:13 AM
    It sounds like you have good reason to be afraid of this particular horse, if he bucked with you. If you do not feel you can stay in the saddle, stay off the horse. Horses are wonderful animals but they can be dangerous. Don't feel you need to prove anything. Move on.
    PS I trust you are wearing a helmet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riding lawn mower to riding go-cart [ 6 Answers ]

I want to convert a riding mower, with a bad engine, to some type of riding go-cart. I'll probably put some type of small engine it it for power, but want something the kids can creep around the yard with. Any ideas? Thanks, G

Grants for horse riding centers [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for grants or other funding for a horse riding center. We will also be adopting abused horses. Does anyone know of any funding soures for this?

HIV fear [ 27 Answers ]

I went the other day to get tested for any STD's, I am so scared of catching HIV. They say I will get the result in 2 weeks... how is someone meant to do or think of anything else when this is on their mind... I can't stop thinking about it, I'm so stressed with this. Ive foolishly had unprotected...

I have to get rid of this fear. [ 12 Answers ]

I had a crazy experience a little while ago. See, I am deathly afraid of bee's/wasps. They are my biggest fear and when I am around them I look like an idiot because I flip out pretty bad. I panic. Well, on my drive home from my lunch break I was jamming to a song and I felt something fly into...

My fear [ 10 Answers ]

I'm going around with a guy... and we love each other a lot... wenever I'm with him... I feel as I'm in heaven... he cares a lot... and so do I... and we are very much attached to each other now... but sometimes... I have this feeling that whether we will have a happy ending or not?? because my...

View more questions Search