Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraffinpete Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Solar Power
    I live on a narrowboat and would like to know if I can get a government grant to replace the diesel engine, diesel heating and gas cooker with a solar powered engine, heating and cooking system.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Don't know about grants, but there have been tax credits available for individuals deploying solar power in the home, although I believe they have expired. There is also a tax credit for use of hybrid or other alternative motor vehicles - perhaps a solar powered boat would qualify. See:

Highlights of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 for Individuals

By the way - is there such a thing as a solar-powered engine for boats?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jun 3, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Seems like it would take a lot of solar panels to do all that, especially the engine. Have you looked into the feasibility of this? Probably not a government grant available but maybe tax credits as ebaines mentioned.
    free grants Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 12:15 AM
    Federal government is offering a 30 percent tax credit (up to $2,000) for the purchase and installation of residential PV systems and solar water heaters. And many more states offer rebates, production incentives, and tax incentives, as well as loan and grant programs for the solar powered engine system. . read more

Quote Originally Posted by paraffinpete
    I live on a narrowboat and would like to know if I can get a govenment grant to replace the diesel engine, diesel heating and gas cooker with a solar powered engine, heating and cooking system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solar Panel Power [ 2 Answers ]

A solar panel is rated 100W 12V. What would be the out-put of the same panel at 24V

Solar Light [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased three Hampton Bay solar lights from Home Depot. Two work fine, but the third one does not come on at dusk like the others. It does come on at approximately 11:00PM at night. Any ideas?

Solar heating [ 2 Answers ]

Help! :confused: I have my first hot tub, and it's wonderful! But the cost to run the darn thing is quite expensive. I live alone and so don't have the luxury of a lovely male person to help me with this (much to my dismay!). I need to start somewhere, so I'm starting here: Is solar heating a...

Solar Power for Traffic Lights [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a solar panel product or products that works onto of traffic signals to provide power for the traffic signal. I have seen these around my town and am interested in the product's maker.

Solar converted to general power supply [ 1 Answers ]

How many watts from solar panels do I need to establish to produce enough power to operate an appliance on a 15amp circuit?

View more questions Search