Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janopolsky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Hebrew Tribes
    Hello,

I have been asked to participate in our friend's son's Bar Mitzvah.

In order to participate I was asked to find out which tribe my family is from.

How can I find this information?

Thank you, Jeff
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jun 4, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Jeff,

For Bar Mitzvah purposes your friend is either Kohen, Levite, or Israel. The majority of the us are known as Israel. You will know if your father was a Kohen or Levi. Historians teach that most Jews are descended from Judah with a small remnant being from Benjamin.
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Jun 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
    The current Jews are descended from the Kingdom of Judah (the Southern Kingdom) which was made of the very large tribe of Judah and the smaller tribe of Benjamin. Mixed in were the members of the tribe of Levi (both levites and priests) who had no independent cites and were interspersed among all. As such, all modern Jews stem from one of those 3 tribes -- the kohen/priest and the levite are from levi and the rest are probably from Judah as the numbers of Judah far outstripped the numbers from Benjamin (we are the commoners, the "Israel" caste when it comes to honors in the synagogue).
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rosends View Post
    The current Jews are descended from the Kingdom of Judah (the Southern Kingdom) which was made of the very large tribe of Judah and the smaller tribe of Benjamin. Mixed in were the members of the tribe of Levi (both levites and priests) who had no independent cites and were interspersed among all. As such, all modern Jews stem from one of those 3 tribes -- the kohen/priest and the levite are from levi and the rest are probably from Judah as the numbers of Judah far outstripped the numbers from Benjamin (we are the commoners, the "Israel" caste when it comes to honors in the synagogue).
    The modern day Jew then is from one of two tribes from what you are saying? Judah or Levite... (note to include the 10 other tribes of Israelites)

Yet that would not clearly establish from what I had thought... That the House of David also known as Judah is viewed as a Jewish nation that is the House of David who ruled over 12 tribes. And the Levite or Kohen are set separate from that only because they are the priesthood of Aaron yet are included as a (one) separate tribe.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 08:07 AM
    The current Jews are descended from the Kingdom of Judah (the Southern Kingdom) which was made of the very large tribe of Judah and the smaller tribe of Benjamin.
    This tread does not appeared to be answered ... And I have many questions..

rosends is saying the Kingdom of Judah descended from the southern (and scripture Ezekiel 48:21-22 says that possession of the Levite are within the midst of the prince's being between border of Judah and Benjamin)

The divided suburbs of city were each two hundred and fifty (Eze 48:17) However it also says that Judah, Reuben, and (Levi, being the Levite priesthood in the midst) are the North side (Eze 48:31)... AND Benjamin along with Dan, and Joseph are the East side (Eze 48:32) with Simeon west to east is a border of Benjamin.(Eze 48:24) because Simeon, Issachar and Zebulun are the South side(Eze 48:33)

That would leave the West side as Gad, Asher, Naphtali.(Eze 48:34)
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 08:38 AM
    As such, all modern Jews stem from one of those 3 tribes -- the kohen/priest and the levite are from levi and the rest are probably from Judah as the numbers of Judah far outstripped the numbers from Benjamin (we are the commoners, the "Israel" caste when it comes to honors in the synagogue).
    So I am back to question #1? The three tribes mentioned in the posted reply would be in actually two tribe Benjamin and Judah, and I would suggest it is clearly those that remained. AND the 10 other tribes were scattered.. Is that correct?

Note that I am not sure what goes outside the religious teaching in being acceptable..so in all due respect I am in search of my own conscious knowledge, and to what is written.

In 2 Chronicles 2:13 it tells how the King of Tyre which would be of the tribe of Benjamin, who was the Eastern side, did send a cunning man from the tribe of Dan also of the Eastern side for the duties known as ordinance for Israel. These duties were usually only done by the house of Levites or the priesthood. ..Is this correct?
    adarian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2010, 12:35 PM
    I would that at this point in time this is a mystical matter and a personal matter. According to the Genesis chapter, there were originally twelve tribes but the tribe of Joseph was split by Jacob - according to the instructions of the El Shaddai Angel - into two tribes for a total of thirteen. I am certainly not saying that Jacob did not literally have twelve sons, each of whom was the patriarch of a tribe that would develop. However, many Jews, including myself, believe that the twelve sons are symbols of the twelve cosmic personality types that create the reality of the world and form human history. Reuben, the 'eldest son' is thought to be the source of architects - not must the designers of buildings, but of the systems of civilization. However, if this personality type ruled the world, then human beings would become the instruments of the systems of the world, because the Reubenites lack divine judgment. Therefore, as per El Shaddai's vision, the Judeans - the judges who are also great warriors who exercise judgment in wartime, become the tribe of kings. According to Exodus, each tribe is also assigned a gemstone which symbolizes their special mystical powers. This is a vast, intense subject.
    trulytrying Posts: 122, Reputation: 6

Sep 3, 2011, 08:13 PM
    The tribes that modern day Jews are descended from are Benjamin, Levi and Judah. Those of Levi tend to have dark hair and light eyes (~many are named Cohen). Benjamites tend to have lighter hair and eyes, prominent noses, and left handedness. Those of Judah are often dark haired with dark eyes and sometimes even olive complected. You might be able to tell your tribe by some of those characteristics I've described. Here's a little history (from the Scriptures) that you may find interesting... This separation of the tribes of Benjamin, Levi and Judah from the rest of the tribes of Israel happened when Solomon's son Rehoboam was king and was harsh with the people. The other tribes chose for themselves a king Jeroboam and followed him. The "Jews" (comprised of those 3 tribes) stayed loyal to the throne and line of King David. Don't know if this helps~hope it does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the meaning of christ in hebrew [ 23 Answers ]

What is the meaning (definition) of christ in hebrew

You.S. Military may arm Pakistani tribes [ 20 Answers ]

U.S. military may arm Pakistani tribes - UPI.com Good Idea or bad idea? I believe it is a good idea because it is working in Iraq. “With the increased security situation we have finally been able to provide essential services to the community. For the first time since 1-5 CAV deployed...

The number 18 in Hebrew ? [ 6 Answers ]

I remember this lady once wearing a pendant on a chain around her neck. Someone asked her something about it and she said it was the # 18 in Hebrew... and that the # 18 meant... life. I never did get the full story, so I'm wondering now what does that mean. Is...

Hebrew Tribes [ 2 Answers ]

My son is getting married and one of the questions I need for his Ketubah is whether we are Levi's Kohen's or Israelites. How do I fid the answer to this. No senior members of our family are alive to tell us. Thanks.

Learning Hebrew [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm wanting to learn a 3rd language and I want it to be Hebrew. Should I go to the bookstore and buy some tapes or what's the easiest way? Thanks!

View more questions Search