Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cgarten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 11:45 PM
    No hot water to sink in bathroom, but hot water to everywhere else
    When we turn on the hot water in our bathroom to our bath tub, it comes on fine; but, when we turn on our hot water to our sink in our bath room no water comes out at all! Our house is an older house, but the sink and the faucet are less than a year old. Any ideas? Thanks.

Chris
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 5, 2006, 05:10 AM
    Hi Chris,
    Some mineral build up from the water heater got in your line and was sucked up by the lavatory faucet where it's now blocking the hotwater inlet ports of the cartridge. Shut the water off at the angle stops located in the cabinet, open up,the faucetb and clean out the cartridge. Before you reassemble the faucet place a pan over it to prevent splash and turn the hot water back on to flush out the supply. The reason you have mineral buildup in your pipes is because you failed to flush your heater out on a regular maintenance schedule . For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps
    ktwill904 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Dear Speedball1,

I read your response to Chris and I took you advice and IT WORKED! I'm so excited. I've been using two bathrooms to get dressed for months now and you helped me repair my problem in less than 10 minutes! Wow, what a Merry Christmas this is!
    quark4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cgarten View Post
    When we turn on the hot water in our bathroom to our bath tub, it comes on fine; but, when we turn on our hot water to our sink in our bath room no water comes out at all! Our house is an older house, but the sink and the faucet are less than a year old. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Chris
    For others reading this post:
    If your problem is not the mineral build-up that Chris had in his hot-water line, you might have a FloodSafe device that stopped the flow of water entirely. This device is installed on the flexible hose from the angle stop to the faucet. Check out this website for details on FloodSafe connectors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. We added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. About a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. We removed alloy rod from water heater just in...

Water coming up in sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have water coming UP in the bathroom sink when the water softener is on, if I by pass it no problem. What can I check?

New sink faucet but water won't come out [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new sink, facuet and supply water lines. When I turned on the water for first time water came out for a few seconds then stopped. I diconnected the water lines from the faucet and the water comes out fine but when I hook them back up to the faucet no water will come out. Any...

Cold water in bathroom sink lacks pressure [ 3 Answers ]

No other outputs affected. Recently, had sprinkler system put in. They cut main line and patched it. At first, lots of muddy water was coming out of sink, toilet and shower. Then all water stopped. They found the debris in the pipe and cleaned it out. All worked well, but now my cold water...

View more questions Search