Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    U079310 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Subpanel Grounding Rods and Neutral Bar
    My main service panel is installed in a detached garage. Our new home is fed by a subpanel run underground from the garage. At the garage panel I have two ground rods and the neutral bar and ground bar in the panel are connected.

At the house subpanel location do I need additional ground rods and should the neutral and grounding panel bars be connected as well ? Thank you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Since the house is in a detached structure from the feeder, there should be a ground rod at the sub-panel. Neutral and ground busses should not be connected together at the sub-panel.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Actually it depends on the feeder if the grounds and neutrals should be isolated.

With a "3-wire" feeder the grounds and neutrals are bonded just like in a main panel.
    With a "4-wire" feeder the grounds and neutrals are kept isolated.
    U079310 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 01:33 PM
    My feeder is 4-wire so I would take it that they should be isolated. Are you both in agreement on the need for a separate grounding rod ?
    jpen455 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Unfortunately I'm not sure that I agree with StanFortyMan's statements regarding the 3-wire and 4-wire feeders. I've never heard of that rationale. The basic point that 'Keep it Simple Stupid' made, I'm in agreement with... that the neutral bar and ground bar are kept separate at sub-panels. The NEC only requires bonding of the neutral/grounding bars at the main service panel to eliminate multiple ground paths. I am open to being re-educated on this matter so anyone please feel free to point me to the articles in the NEC that mention this 3 wire/4 wire feeder rationale for bonding the neutral/grounds at the subpanels.

Jun 2, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Jpen, it is not my "rationale", it is in the NEC.
    Please see 250.32(B)(1) and (B)(2).

This was changed in the 2008 NEC to not allow "3-wire" feeders (250.32(B)(2)) any more in new installs.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2008, 05:13 PM
    But does a 4-wire underground feeder require a ground rod at the main panel? I would suspect the answer is yes. With the ground and neutrals remaining unconnected at the main panel, this would make sense.

Jun 2, 2008, 05:38 PM
    ALL "main" panels/disconnects require a grounding electrode.

ALL sub-panels at detached structures require a grounding electrode.

This has NOTING at all to do with the grounds and neutrals in the panels. A ground rod is completely unrelated to either of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding Bar vs. Neutral Bar? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all. I have extended the wires from an unused 240 outlet to the backyard for a spa via a sub-panel. I also hooked up a new grounding electrode near it to avoid having to run a fourth wire all the way back to the main panel. This fourth wire goes to the small grounding bar in the sub-panel...

Grounding Rods [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a brick patio in the back. While digging out the area I ran into two rods with the grounding wire from the house attatched. The tips of the rods were sticking out of the ground slightly covered by mulch. I don't want to move the rods or the patio. My question is,...

Grounding rods [ 4 Answers ]

First off thanks everyone for all your help so far. I have a question about a grounding rod. Can it be used in place of a water utility connection? My water meter is a good 50 feet away from my house and I am pretty sure that the pipes that run into the house are non-metallic, plus I have no...

Dose a newly added subpanel need a grounding rod? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm goining to add a new subpanel to a detached garage , for a 6-3g 240v outlet for use with mechanic's tools (small mechanic work) and a few 120v outlets and mabe a over head light (florecent) Now I've studied the panel info I've found online but haven't came across the QUESTION of Do I need to...

Grounding a subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of direct current solar panels mounted on a metal structure (carport). All the panels and the structure are grounded to a ground rod driven near one of the support posts. Can I use the same ground rod for the ground connection of an alternating current subpanel mounted on one of...

View more questions Search