Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewalk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Copper connected to Galvanized
    Will copper connected to galvanized create a problem? Corrosion? Is it against code? When was that code enacted? Should I change it?

ewalk
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 10:18 PM
    ewalk - I have seen copper to galva nized used togreather a lot of times,& you are not going to get corr0sion from the copper ,but you will from the galvanized,:: You will have to contact the water dept. where you live and check the codes for your area. When you get them you are going to have to check for codes on state county city or town. Good luck and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 2, 2008, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalk
    will copper connected to galvanized create a problem? corrosion? is it against code? when was that code enacted? should I change it?

ewalk
    To transition to copper from galvanized you will need a dielectric union,(see image) these unions prevent electrolysis and corrosion. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Like Tom said... use the dielectric unions... and also note that here.. you may need to jumper the union with new ground wire and clamps to continue the ground throughout the new plumbing.. see pic. Below.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pvc to galvanized [ 6 Answers ]

Can't seem to get a tight seal at the connection of the pvc fitting to metal. I sanded th piece of gal to try to eliminate some of the corrosion because I could not get to oring on the pipe. Should I use a sealer as well there were no directions with the pvc piece I bought. Thanks

Sweating copper to copper valve connections [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing my shower with a Moen system that has a Moentrol three function transfer valve Model 3330. The inlet and outlets are copper to copper. Other than removing the cartridges prior to sweating is their any particular trick to heating those connections on the valve? Thanks very much for...

Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction). I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Copper to Galvanized [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace some water pipes in my house to add Shut-offs and to remove some "hokey" setups.. my issue is that I have galvanized running up through the walls to the 2nd story bathroom. Everything else in the house is copper or PVC. I want to run copper to the galvanized, do I need Dielectric...

View more questions Search