Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rldale2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Open neutral - 3 wires; white as hot?
    OK, I've encountered an oddly wired outlet in my kitchen and am trying to replace it with a GFCI. I unwired the old outlet, taking note of where things were attached, just in case. I wired the GFCI acoording to instructions and then checked the wiring with a Sperry GFI checker. All seemed OK. Then I plugged the garbage disposal back in and it turned on (the switch was off.. ). Turning the switch off tripped the gfci.

Figuring I did something wrong, I retested and now find that I have an open neutral though none of the connections are loose - all have been rechecked. I did a bit of reading about open neutrals, especially since I only had three wires (plus a ground) to attach to the GFCI. This is where it gets weird and I need some advice.

--The hot side is a black Line and the *white* Load that has been marked with a black stripe with a pen. ( I tested and reversed this to neutral and the Sperry told me I had the wires reversed so I put them back). Also wire that should be the black Load has been ganged/attached to the Black Line.
    -- On the Neutral side, I have one white Line, attached directly across from the black Line. I have no White Load, presumably because the other white wire has been made hot/black line and its corresponding black has been ganged to the Black Line, leaving me no other neutral option, I think.

I'm willing to call a professional if need be, but would appreciate knowing how to deal with this for future problems I may discover in my new (to me) home.

Thanks,
    Robin
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2006, 05:00 AM
    Sounds as if there is some issue with the third wire. Need to fiqure out what it is for. Any hot load wire needs a neutral, and this is not going to work as the gfi is seeing an imbalance due to something missing.

Need to test for 120 volt feed, and trace that third wire before we can determine what the problem is.

If you are unable to do the testing and tracing, may be best to call in a pro.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlet Question: Open Neutral - Hot / Grnd Reverse? [ 6 Answers ]

This past weekend two outlets and one light fixture went dead in my basement after turning on my stereo. I checked the breakers and none had tripped, so I re-set the one in question just to be sure. Still dead. I haven't been in this house too long, so I thought to check for another breaker...

3 white wires? [ 7 Answers ]

I was trying to install a "recycled" ceiling fan/light fixture and when I took the old fixture off I saw 3 white wires bundled together. The white wire from the old fixture was attached to that bunch and the black was on black. When I test the wires, 2 of the white wires run the electricity on...

Suspected open/loose service neutral [ 1 Answers ]

I had a BGE (local power company) service person come out to investigate what I believe to be an open/loose neutral problem. The service person did not believe there to be a problem. (and didn't even seem to understand that power traveled in a loop and needs a return path) When a clamp-on amp...

Lighted Switch & Open Neutral [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently attempting to use a lighted rocker switch to control a split receptacle. The wiring looks right but when I power up and test the outlet, it shows an open neutral (light on tester is just barely on) when the switch is turned off. In the on position everything test out correct. ...

Open Neutral [ 2 Answers ]

I need some expert assistance... I think that I have an open neutral on the power company's side. They came out to look at it today and didn't fix anything, and I would like someone else to evaluate my conclusion before I call them tomorrow. This is a commercial building that I am...

View more questions Search