Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsmith86 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Professional golf
    Can someone please help me with the following question dealing with professional golf.
    In tennis, men play the best of five sets and women play the best of three sets, but the winner of the men's tennis singles at the U.S.Open is paid the same as the winner of the women's singles. In contrast, in golf, men and women play the same number of holes and rounds, but the winners oof men's golf tounraments are paid much more than the winners of women's golf tournaments. Are these compensation arrangements efficient? Are they fair? Explain.
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Mar 5, 2006, 02:15 AM
    Hello tsmith86,

In the UK Wimbledon Tennis Championship there is still a discrepancy in the prize money for men and woman. In 2005 Roger Federer the Mens Singles winner received £630,000 ($1,105.00), whereas Venus Williams the Women's Champion received £600.000 ($1,052.00). There has been a lot of debate about this over the years but I believe the gap between men and women's prize money is narrowing.

There has also been debate about women playing 5 set matches to bring them in line with men. However I cannot personally see this happening, not because women do not have the stamina (I am sure they do), but because it will require the championships to be extended to accommodate the extra time needed.

With regard to golf. I believe that the problem of higher prize money for men over women is totally unfair. As you say they play under the same conditions and over the same courses. Therefore I feel they should receive the same prize money.

I believe Tiger Woods is all for woman getting equal prize money

The USGA say that the reason women get paid less is because the men make money during their tournaments whereas women lose money. If true, why do all other US governing bodies for their respective sports pay equal prize money irrespective of the profit or loss made by the participants, men or women.

Poseidon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2006, 03:07 AM
    Fairness would be nice in a perfect world but you have to realize that first and foremost it's a business. Men's golf simply has the much larger viewership and commands higher advertising revenues and attracts the big sponsors. Women's sports where the viewership is high also have the same benefit: tennis, figure skating, volleyball, etc.
    ramblinguy Posts: 86, Reputation: 9

Mar 30, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmith86
    Can someone please help me with the following question dealing with professional golf.
    In tennis, men play the best of five sets and women play the best of three sets, but the winner of the men's tennis singles at the U.S.Open is paid the same as the winner of the women's singles. In contrast, in golf, men and women play the same number of holes and rounds, but the winners oof men's golf tounraments are paid much more than the winners of women's golf tournaments. Are these compensation arrangements efficient? Are they fair? Explain.
    Not fair, but the answer is simple. More people watch men's golf on t.v. than women. What's good news for the LPGA is that they have surpassed viewership in the Champions Tour.
    need123advice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2013, 09:27 PM
    Its not as much a gender issue as you think. Men golfers have a much greater following than women golfers. PGA tournaments bring in crazy amounts of revenue. LPGA tournaments don't have a huge following. You can only have a large prize purse if there is money to back it up. Unfortunately LPGA does not come close to the PGA in terms of overall revenue. For example, there are male professional tours (mini-tours) that have a purse. The purse is significantly less than any of the bigger tours because there isn't money coming in from outlets outside of the player themselves. LPGA doesn't have the revenue outlets or the fan base that the PGA does. Women's majors are still considered to be a big deal but the prize money will never be equivalent to PGA prize money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Golf and Croquet [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any transferrable skills between Golf and Croquet?

Golf Course [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Could anyone tell me how many acres of land is required for a 18 hole golf course? Cheers MIS

Golf swing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi experts, I'm a lady golfer with a 15 handicap. I always make it a point to be aware of my right elbow on the take away. But what I'd like to know is how high up and how close to the body by right elbow should be on the backswing. Thanks for any information.

98 VW Golf GTI VR6 won't start - help! [ 2 Answers ]

I tried to start my car yesterday after 1 1/2 weeks of no use, and it won't start. It doesn't sound like the engine is turning over - there is a soft rattling noise, not revving... all the accessory lights and head lights work, just not the stereo. Had the car checked in March and all was good. I...

Golf ball [ 2 Answers ]

A golf ball moving forward with 1 unit of momentum strikes and bounces backward off a heavy bowling ball that is initially at rest and free to move. The bowling ball is set in motion with a momentum of_____. A. Less than 1 unit. B. More than 1 unit. C. 1 unit. D. Not enough information.

View more questions Search