Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rakeshw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 12:12 PM
    How do I file for taxes, my wife is on H4.
    Hi, here is the scenario:
    -I am on H1, and I have to file for my tax returns.
    -I got married last year, and my wife is in US since dec of last year.
    -I want to file her as an dependent while applying for tax returns, so that I can -get more returns then the normal returns.

My question is, how do I file her as an dependent?
    What will her identification be while filling the returns?
    She cannot file for SSN, since she I am on H1. And as per the current law, H1's dependents cannot file for SSN.
    Do I have to file for a tax-id? If yes, how do I file for the same.

Thank you in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2006, 09:02 PM
    Rakeshaw:

You must download Form W-7 from www.irs.gov and fill it out. Make a photocopy of her passport and get it notarized as a true copy. Staple the copy to the W-7, which your wife must sign.

Assuming you entered the U.S. prior to 1 July 2006, you must file Form 1040EZ. You file jointly with your wife; you do NOT claim her as a dependent.

Mar 5, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Thank you for the reply. I will look into the relevant forms. I believe this suggestion was considering the fact that she is not earning any income.

Thank you again...
    And yes, I will certainly recommend this website to my friend community.
    Rakesh
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Glad to help, and Thank You!

Apr 9, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Hi, I just realized that I have lost the original copy of my W2. However I have a printed copy from the online document that my company provides me. In case I am not able to file online(and I have to post by mail), do I need to have the original copy?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 10, 2006, 09:10 AM
    The original W-2 is NOT needed. All the IRS wants is the INFORMATION on the W-2, which can be provided by a photocopy of the W-2 or the online version of the W-2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 1 Answers ]

In one of your previous replies you had said that for filing taxes with person with H1 and wife with H4. "Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return...

Which states I should file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am an MBA student ( on F1 visa) in North Carolina, and did my internship in New York during summer last year. I stayed in New Jersey while doing my internship. I also have income from working in school as well. Now, which states am I required to file taxes. Can you recommend some easy sites...

Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years. I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india. My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4...

3 states taxes + ITIN for wife [ 3 Answers ]

Hello experts, I've been on H1 for the whole of 2005. I got married in Aug 2005 and my wife joined me in Nov on H4. I have three W-2 forms for three different states for 2005. Now, this is the first time I am going to do my taxes on my own. So - 1) Do I file as "Married filing jointly" or...

View more questions Search