Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chandramr49 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 11:55 PM
    CD ROM DRIVE disappeared
    Dear Sir,
    I did not find my solution from previous questions and answers.
    I am using two windows o.s in my computer 1. window 98 and 2. windows XP.
    In both of these windows CD Rom has disappeared.
    I am unable to find out cd rom in my computer.
    Before that after switching off my computer I checked the connections of this drive in my CPU and then restarted my computer but of no use.
    I am using P4 system with 256 RAM.
    Sometimes when I restart my computer a message window says " slave drive- ATAPI incompatible"
    I do not know whether this has any association with CD Rom drive.
    How this problem can be resolved ?
    Thanks and regard.
    Ramesh Mishra
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 07:06 AM
    First off, why are you using two operating systems? The XP is far superior to windows 98. Anyway, I think you need to reload your drivers for this CD ROM. This disappearance could have been the result of the two different operating systems.

Jun 1, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Dear Twinkiedooter,
    The problem is not due to two operating system.
    It was working all right earlier. All of a sudden one day that it has disappeared from "My computer"
    I opened my cpu and took out cables and plugged it but it was of no use.
    One more problem I would like to add . My mouse gets inactive sometime .After restarting the computer it starts working.

However is there any solution to resolve these problems.
    If at all driver need to be downloaded then from where I shall get it ?
    Thanks and regards.
    Ramesh Mishra
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Is the cd rom seen in the device mgr?
    Start, settings, control panel, system, hardware tab, device mgr, is there yellow marks next to cd rom or is the cd rom even there

If it is there and there are yellow marks, right click on it and choose uninstall and say OK
    Now close all windows and restart the PC

Post back

Jun 1, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Dear Seahwk,
    Under device manager tab, I got disk drive. Within this disk drive there is Samsung sv4012H which is not marked yellow.
    There is no CD ROM under the device manager tab.
    This is all in windows xp.
    Thanks and regards.
    Ramesh Mishra
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Is this a dual boot? Or virtual OS? If virtual OS, which is the primary system the computer boots to?

Well, if there is no cd rom in either OS device mgr

1 - check your bios when you start the system to see if the bios recognizes a cd rom attached to the system

If seen in the bios, go to control panel and choose the add new hardware icon to see if it can be detected

Really need to know if dual boot or virtual os though
    dr2400 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Have you entered the bios, most computers you press the delete key when the computer is starting.

Check and see if the cd rom has been disabled.
    If you do not see it listed, then select cd and then auto. It should appear.

If you have recently changed your hard drive, and the cd and hard drive use the same Ide cable, make sure the cd is set to slave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd and dvd drive disappeared [ 4 Answers ]

My cd and dvd drive disappeared from "My Computer". How do I get them back? :confused:

She just disappeared. [ 1 Answers ]

Recently, I reconnected with a young woman I knew while in college. Though we didn't date (I was dating others at the time and her school was two states away), there was an obvious attraction and mutual high regard. During an initial date we decided to plan a trip to celebrate the new year, and it...

Control panel has disappeared [ 2 Answers ]

I started receiving popups yesterday telling me my computer was copying itself and wanted me to do a scan, obviously trying to sell me software. It would not go away. I ran adaware and scanned twice. It still would not disappear. I tried getting int control panel to see if I could find a stray...

My address bar disappeared [ 7 Answers ]

After installing A progam I thought I needed,(stupid!) My addressbar disappeared. I tried to get it back by hitting the F11 key, but that does not work. How can I get it back? I am a senior, with little computer knowledge. Thank you very much for helping. Anne, aka MotherSuperior

View more questions Search