Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jun 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    Oh come on, Bobby. Get over 2000! How many times did they recount? Time was running out. If the Dems had their way we would have gotten to January without a winner. And I seem to remember that every time they recounted, G. Bush gained a few more votes! A month more and he might have had a landslide!

Read for yourself, "Galveston," and then chastise your fellow Republican, not me. I only shared the facts of that 2000 election after Steve brought the subject up. Personally I think if there's a way to screw up an election, it will happen in Florida regardless of Democrat or Republican. Ever since Jeb Bush they've become known for election screw-ups, period.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Hello Sky:

I guess half was enough.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 02:38 AM
    I would hate to have to rehash this again .But an independent panel of media did an extensive recount of ALL Fla ballots and found that Bush had even a greater margin of victory in 2000. It was Gore ;trying to change the rules via court challenges ,and the irresponsible actions of the Fla. Supreme Court,that created all the confusion.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    That was an example?? LOL! Well! What a surprise? You're going down another failed argument path. Obama actually has the popular vote lead and that includes the fact he only received uncommitted popular votes for Michigan being that his name was not even on the ballot. BTW if you fail to obey the law and have to pay the penalty for your actions later, whose to blame?? Did the police disenfranchise you from being law abiding, or did you do that to yourself??
    Follow me again here Bobby, my examples had less to do with actual results - overall or otherwise - laws or rules than attitudes, behavior and stated principles. Although, fact is Hillary won the popular vote in Texas but received fewer delegates. How many Obama and winner-take-all supporters came out and complained?

Nope! It was Gore being supported by a majority of the Democratic public that was being opposed by Bush with Republicans support, on a re-count, concerning four counties, in Florida.:)
    Your words were "Did Jeb and G.W. Bush warn 50 States that they was going to penalize the nation for wanting a re-count due to Florida's voting irregularities???"

I said it was Gore that asked for a recount in in Volusia, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. The article you cite also says it was "Gore's petition to overturn the certification of Florida's election results and manually recount [all] the ballots." It was Gore that wanted to skirt Florida law which "required all counties to certify their election returns to the Florida Secretary of State within seven days of the election." It was Gore who "for the first time in modern history...[resorted] to lawsuits to try to overturn the outcome of an election for president." Bush asked the courts to follow Florida law nearly a month after Florida's statutory deadline, so do you support the law or not?
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Hello:

As in most elections, the winner takes the post, while the losers demand a recount and complain about the rules. Certainly, you Republicans would agree, the guy who is anointed, irrespective of the votes or the rules or the complaints, IS the guy who is anointed...

Therefore, Obama IS the anointed, and he's going to trounce Grampy McSame.

excon

Jun 4, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Follow me again here Bobby, my examples had less to do with actual results - overall or otherwise - laws or rules than attitudes, behavior and stated principles. Although, fact is Hillary won the popular vote in Texas but received fewer delegates. How many Obama and winner-take-all supporters came out and complained?
    Steve, wake-up. You're sweating to death in example heat... again. The delegates are not award by whole state results, but by district. Therefore the votes counted for district populace are in effect accurate proportion. Neither Hillary or Obama were naïve to those rules, why are you?

I said it was Gore that asked for a recount in in Volusia, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. The article you cite also says it was "Gore's petition to overturn the certification of Florida's election results and manually recount [all] the ballots." It was Gore that wanted to skirt Florida law which "required all counties to certify their election returns to the Florida Secretary of State within seven days of the election." It was Gore who "for the first time in modern history...[resorted] to lawsuits to try to overturn the outcome of an election for president." Bush asked the courts to follow Florida law nearly a month after Florida's statutory deadline, so do you support the law or not?
    The article was from CNN and was 100% accurate for that date. BTW you do realize that your wikipedia is rated only 90% of the time accurate. You're arguing with yourself here. Re-read the facts of what I stated after you brought the subject up. I said Gore with Democrat support vs Bush with Republican support... and that Gore wanted a re-count and Bush wanted to it stopped. There were irregularities. Chads hanging and missed counts are called irregularities. Period. My only implication is that Florida has tendency to screw-up any election. Gov. Crist was on media record just yesterday saying that he has it all fixed this time. We can only hope!
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Steve, wake-up. You're sweating to death in example heat... again. The delegates are not award by whole state results, but by district. Therefore the votes counted for district populace are in effect accurate proportion. Neither Hillary or Obama were naïve to those rules, why are you?
    Bobby, I'm wide awake today and not naïve. You're missing the point. I said it had lees to do with actual results, rules and laws but with attitudes, behavior and stated principles. It is about what I've heard, read and watched the left say over the last 7 years being disregarded over partisan politics - exactly what they've whined about for all that time. It's the hypocrisy - not the rules.

The article was from CNN and was 100% accurate for that date. BTW you do realize that your wikipedia is rated only 90% of the time accurate.
    Yes the article was accurate, that's why I cited it also. I don't rely Wikipedia as a rock solid source, but the portion I cited is also accurate, supported by the CNN article you cited.

You're arguing with yourself here. Re-read the facts of what I stated after you brought the subject up. I said Gore with Democrat support vs Bush with Republican support... and that Gore wanted a re-count and Bush wanted to it stopped. There were irregularities. Chads hanging and missed counts are called irregularities. Period.
    Hey buddy, I must have re-read it because I copied and pasted YOUR quote, lol.

My only implication is that Florida has tendency to screw-up any election. Gov. Crist was on media record just yesterday saying that he has it all fixed this time. We can only hope!
    Look, I hope so too. I hope it's fixed everywhere and I hope the parties don't intimidate voters, have lawyers on call in every precinct, and I wish the candidates and their minions would stop playing this game of personal destruction. But until they do, I'm going to fight back ;)

Jun 4, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Bobby, I'm wide awake today and not naive. You're missing the point. I said it had lees to do with actual results, rules and laws but with attitudes, behavior and stated principles. It is about what I've heard, read and watched the left say over the last 7 years being disregarded over partisan politics - exactly what they've whined about for all that time. It's the hypocrisy - not the rules.

I went through three of your exampled arguments and each time there was an excuse. Actually the first time you detoured and said it was not one of your examples. Yet you've gone right back to the same argument and meanwhile admitted your only here to flame the fires. I really shouldn't waste my time on such adolescence. The guidelines of the DNC 2008 were already in place. Yeah I know you want to avoid rules and speak on reaction. But it took actions first and that was breaking rules. BTW since you keep bring up the general election Florida 2000 re-counts, it was so questionable that it took a spilt-vote majority in the Supreme court to sort out, unlike the Dem primary 2008. As for reaction on the recent DNC rulings, the few hanging on Hillaryettes were not being hypocritical, just whiners. Hillary, and the other hand is a hypocrite and I can give concrete examples. :cool:

Yes the article was accurate, that's why I cited it also. I don't rely Wikipedia as a rock solid source, but the portion I cited is also accurate, supported by the CNN article you cited.;)
    Damn right what I was cited was accurate. Another fruitless argument vaporized. Yippee! :rolleyes:

Hey buddy, I must have re-read it because I copied and pasted YOUR quote, lol.
    And I'll add the word, "comprehend," next time. :eek:

Look, I hope so too. I hope it's fixed everywhere and I hope the parties don't intimidate voters, have lawyers on call in every precinct, and I wish the candidates and their minions would stop playing this game of personal destruction. But until they do, I'm going to fight back ;)
    You mean the scorched earth campaigning of the Hillary Clinton?? Personally I think Gov Crist's word of confidence that he will have the State of Florida provide a smooth general election is even less ensuring in light of the fact of they've already showed disobedience moving the primary vote date up. Have they learned yet?? I'm going to keep fighting ignorance. ;)!
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 01:42 PM
    I went through three of your exampled arguments and each time there was an excuse. Actually the first time you detoured and said it was not one of your examples. Yet you've gone right back to the same argument and meanwhile admitted your only here to flame the fires. I really shouldn't waste my time on such adolescence.
    Hey man, there is no excuse in any of my posts, I've been entirely consistent while you've detoured onto paths with no road signs leading there. Since you mentioned the word adolescent I'll just say it this way, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy now being revealed after the past 7 1/2 years of adolescent anti-Bush behavior. Now they're projecting their unhinged hatred of Bush onto McCain using the same adolescent tactics. The best they can come up with against McCain is he's old, a misquoted "100 year" remark, an unsubstantiated affair and painting him as a Bush clone based on a very select number of votes. You can't be serious.

Jun 4, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Hey man, there is no excuse in any of my posts, I've been entirely consistent while you've detoured onto paths with no road signs leading there. Since you mentioned the word adolescent I'll just say it this way, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy now being revealed after the past 7 1/2 years of adolescent anti-Bush behavior. Now they're projecting their unhinged hatred of Bush onto McCain using the same adolescent tactics. The best they can come up with against McCain is he's old, a misquoted "100 year" remark, an unsubstantiated affair and painting him as a Bush clone based on a very select number of votes. You can't be serious.
    This coming from the person that admits being here to flame the fires? Steve, everybody with a half of education knows I present my views very thoroughly and straight forward. The flies are already gathered around the dead horse so bring your little flickering match to the next to subject. Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 02:44 PM
    This coming from the person that admits being here to flame the fires?! Steve, everybody with a half of education knows I present my views very thoroughly and straight forward. The flies are already gathered around the dead horse so bring your little flickering match to the next to subject. Thank you.
    Hey bub, I've already changed the subject. You're taking some things way too literally here. I said I'm just having a blast watching and stoking the fire - that the Democrats started on the subject of your primaries, I never said I was "only here to flame the fires." I've admitted numerous times I'm not a debater, but my research is thorough. So, moving on...

Pacman had his first practice yesterday and looked good they said. Maybe he'll keep his nose clean and hit the field for the first game.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyGem
    Dear Credendovidis, I would just like for you to take that argument to Floridians and the people from Michigan and see if they agree with your advise and logic. :)
    The citizens of Florida and Michigan should be furious... with their state leaders who played chicken with the DNC rules and then were appalled and aghast when it hit the fan.

If you set rules and a child disobeys it, and then throws a hissy fit because they are being punished... well, it means there's a system in place that is to be followed.

Granted, coming from the state of Iowa, the were-first-so-nah-nah state, I don't get the current system. Makes no sense. Iowa first. Whatever. Nice for the economy every 4 years, but other than that, it's a dumb system (who first and when) and needs revamped. That said... a system should be in place... is in place... and when rules are violated, its just using your backbone to apply punishment.

So I'm sick of hearing the whining about counting the Michigan and Florida voters. They deserved to be heard. They would have been heard... do you really thing those two states wouldn't have been big wins for either candidate even late in the game?

As it is, their leaders screwed up royally. The voters shouldn't be furious with the dnc and dean. It should be rage at in state leaders who played chicken and got egg on their face.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 4, 2008, 03:19 PM
    If our founding fathers could only see us now.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rodandy12
    If our founding fathers could only see us now.
    Hello r:

If they did, they'd love it. Democracy is messy. It's not nice and neat. People get dinged. But, it's working exactly like it was designed to do. Frankly, I haven't enjoyed a campaign this much since 1968.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Rodandy . I encourage you to read up on the politics of the 1792-1800 period. We are novices compared to how they played the game.

Yes indeed they would love it ;they would love the fact that the populace was engaged and fired up full of passion about the issues of the day.

Jun 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
    R12-

I don't think having a black man nominated and running for president would had set well with them. Hundreds of years later, even today, having our first black nominee doesn't set well with some of the public.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Thomas Jefferson thought the American Revolution was the first in a series. He figured that once the freedom genie was out of the bottle, "the people" wouldn't put up with the sort of crap we seem willing to put up with and every 20-30 years, there would be another
    Revolution. He greatly underestimated the coming success of the experiment called the United States and the citizen's willingness to bend their ideals if their lives were sufficiently comfortable.

I think our founding father's would be happy that the experiment has been a success, but pissed that we've turned into a bunch of spoiled fatcats who allow our elected leaders (sic) to get away with the crap they do.

Yes. Democracy is dam_ messy. It is not for sissys.

Jun 6, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rodandy12
    I think our founding father's would be happy that the experiment has been a success, but pissed that we've turned into a bunch of spoiled fatcats who allow our elected leaders (sic) to get away with the crap they do.

Yes. Democracy is dam_ messy. It is not for sissys.
    Pssst... I agree. I've wanted to take a bat to politicians kneecaps on several occasions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2008, 05:28 PM
    I can remember from history, in Illinois state senate, during the days of Abe Lincoln, if there was to be a vote on something they did not want passed, some members would jump out of the meeting hall, even though the windows, so there would not be enough members present to call for a vote. Politics were always a fight, it was never set up for a majority vote of the people for almost anything, esp at the national level.
    IE> as in the actual election, we do understand the EC elects the president, the popular vote does not. Just like the idea of the super delegates, it is all designed to protect the people being elected from the will of the people,
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Rodandy
    To the founders generation revolution included non-violent departures from the past. But I don't think that is what Jefferson meant because he used rhetoric about the tree of liberty being nourished in blood.
    The founders understanding what Jefferson was saying, (who's views were in my opinion often contradictory and extreme compared to most of the founders), installed the mechanisim for "revolutionary change" into the framework of the Constitution. These include the amending process and a process for new Constitutional conventions.

From the Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

Jefferson wrote these words and the founders as I said added the means for change in the framework of the Constitution. The thing to remember about Jefferson is that he was an enthusiastic supporter of the excesses of the French Revolution .History showed that revolution to be a failure ;chaos reigned until a dictator restored order.

As for a new American Revolution;I would suggest that there have been elections in the country that were revolutionary (Jackson, Lincoln ,FDR) .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mythological creatures half human half animal [ 14 Answers ]

What are they called? There is a general therm for all of them, and each type also has an additional name. Some of them are half horse half human, others half goat half human etc..

What count down [ 2 Answers ]

What was the top ten hits in 1978?

Congress and senate votes. [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a website to see how congress and senate cast there votes?State politicians also.

Hillary Clinton votes for WAR with the Iranians now? [ 5 Answers ]

Hilary Clinton wants to go to war with Iran? I thought she was against war? YouTube - Hillary Clinton Believes War With Iran Would Be Funny And why is she saying that every Republican supports the current War on Iraq? YouTube - * HILLARY CLINTON FLAT OUT LIES AT THE JUNE 3RD CNN DEBATE *

My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua has potty problem! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua is a great dog but when it comes to the potty he is not good. He is let outside every hour but sometimes he pees in the house. I stay with him outside for 30 minutes and let him inside. I have no solution what should I do? :confused:

View more questions Search