Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    npq Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Sued for settled debt
    We settled a credit card debt for less than the amount. They sent a letter saying "final payment for settlement of account received, settled in full. Credit Bureau report will say settled for less than full balance." We will get a 1099-C for the unpaid amount.
    A few months later, we received a letter from Attorneys Hanna and Associates stating they represent the credit card company to collect the unpaid amount.
    We have 30 days to respond to this letter. How should the letter read?
    cindylee219 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Because of an unfortunate situation my mnother has become a quadrapeligic and I have been her 24/7 caregiver. My credit rating took a dive and I am so far in debt. I have been threaten with judgements I cannot even afford to file bankruptcy. What will happen to all these threatening calls that I am receiving?
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

May 31, 2008, 08:51 PM
    NPQ,

When you have a few minutes, read this..

Ripoff Report Search Results: Frederick J. Hanna & Associates

It will give you an idea about the type of people you are dealing with.

Next, I would send a VALIDATION letter to them and make them validate the debt to the letter of the law. Make sure you send it Certified Mail, return receipt requested.

Keep copies of anything / everything you get that has to do with this. If they ask you for "additional information" or to provide anything to them, do not respond. They must prove beyond doubt that you owe this, not make you prove you do not.

Hope this helps!

LG

Jun 5, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by npq
    We settled a credit card debt for less than the amount. They sent a letter saying "final payment for settlement of account received, settled in full. Credit Bureau report will say settled for less than full balance." We will get a 1099-C for the unpaid amount.
    A few months later, we received a letter from Attorneys Hanna and Associates stating they represent the credit card company to collect the unpaid amount.
    Thanks LG, your info really helped. We called the credit card company and found out they never closed our account and they called Hanna and Associates. So the lady said she would take care of it but I will call her back to make sure. The balance is still on our credit report too.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Jun 5, 2008, 07:38 PM
    You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

LG

Jun 6, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by npq
    LG, I had another question under "settled credit card debts" I posted yesterday. Would you mind looking at it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Settled Debt;creditor wants more [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I was sued by Crown Asset Management (Pollack & Rosen). I settled before the court summons for 2400 out of the 3000. When they sent me the stipulation, it claims that I owe 2777+300 court costs. I paid 1200. And plan to pay the other 1200 in the next few weeks. The weird part was that the...

Being sued for CC Debt [ 3 Answers ]

I am being sued for credit card debt. I am not sure what I need to do or how to handle everything. So whatever help you can give me would be great. I cannot afford an attorney so I am not sure how to handle things.

Working with a credit agency on a charged off debt I thought was settled [ 1 Answers ]

Years ago, three days after my ex and I filed for divorce, I received a small credit card for $300. I paid it regularly and on time until they hit me with an "annual fee" that I thought was a "one time start up fee". It threw the card over the limit, they slapped over the limit fees on that,...

Being sued over old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a lawsuite against me from a credit card company, from debt incurred a few years ago. I'd like to know if: I should go through paying an attorney and the whole process, or, should I wait and see what happens? Would it be wise for me to send a lump sum to the attorney and see if...

I settled my Debt--they cashed check but now Bank suing me! [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone could help me--or point me in the right direction it would be a great relief. Basically, I had a credit card with Chase bank--it went delinquent. They turned it over to a company called Mann Bracken (they're in Atlanta, GA). Mann Bracken filed with the National Arbitration Forum. ...

View more questions Search