Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MKD Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Taxable Interest (f1 To H1b In Oct)
    Dear Atlanta Expert and other friends,

Thank you for this website and your contribution.

I have question regarding taxable interest. On October 1, 2005, my status was change from F1 to H1B, As per the sticky note, I should be filling the 1040 NR + 8843.

My question is about taxable interest. My bank has sent me 1099-INT form which includes interest for entire year.

1. Do I report this interest as taxable interest on 1040 NR even through I am not Non Resident Alien (less than 183 days).
    2. Do I report the entire amount?
    3. Can I use 1040NR-EZ if this interest is not taxable.
    4. Do I have to fill any other form other than 8843 and 1040NR/NR-EZ.

Please advice,
    Thanking you
    MKD
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2006, 11:46 AM
    MKD:

If you are reporting as a non-resident alien, the interest is all non-taxable.

That being the case, you can file Form 1040NR-EZ and 8843. Those are the only forms that have to be filed for 2005.
    MKD Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Thank you Atlanta Expert.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2006, 06:56 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Interest in Sex [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone please guide me. My husband and I have been together for 15 years now and recently, well for quite a while, I have had absolutley no interest in sex. I love my husband and he treats me well, but I am just not interested. I am a non-traditional student, and after being in college all...

Tuition interest h1b [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax expert, I have been in the US on an F1b since 1998, I changed status from f1 to h1b in July 2005. Given that my 5 years as a nonresident on f1 ended in 2003, I am filing 1040. I have paid tuition, and also interest on student loans in 2005. The interest was paid to a bank in...

Taxable scholarship ? [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I am filing 1040 NR EZ for 2005(Indian resident on H-1 B since September 2005) 1.I was a student until August 2005. I received a scholarship during my Masters, by which my out of state tax was exempted and I also got a $ 500 scholarship in January 2005. Is the...

Tax from taxable income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on F1 visa. Can anyone tell me what's the tax (line 15 in the 1040NR-EZ form) is my taxable income is $12875 (on line 14 in the 1040NR-EZ form). Second question is where do I need to file (i.e. send) the 1040NR-EZ form. Thanks a lot.

What will be my taxable marital status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am married 2 yrs back.I am living in usa since may'2005 along with my wife.I have received my w2 form where it has been stated as Single.I have asked my employer to change that and sent them a new w4 form.My wife does not have any income and she does not have any social security number...

View more questions Search