Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    servtech Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Shower drain location
    My basement shower drain is about 12" from where I need it to be. Can I use a 6" sub floor and elbows or what are my options? I'd rather not break up the concrete if it can be avoided.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 4, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by servtech
    My basement shower drain is about 12" from where I need it to be. Can I use a 6" sub floor and elbows or what are my options? I'd rather not break up the concrete if it can be avoided.
    If you platform the shower base and elbo off the drain into another elbo that connects to the traps raiser in the floor you will have built a "running trap". This will work, however the drain line to the trap will have to be boxed in.
    Good luck, Tom
    extreme42583 Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Mar 4, 2006, 09:48 AM
    I had to do the same thing to my shower in the basement. I built up the floor with 2x6's and 3/4" OSB. Depending how you are laying it out. If you can get to one side of the shower outside of where you are putting the room. Leave some space in your new floor joist so you can get to the drain and be able to tighten the ring. It will also help if you should have problems in the future. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Sewer Drain Location in New Construction [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know about any rules regarding the location of the sewer drain location. For instance, min distance from a window, etc. Thanks, Peter

Rebuilding Shower - Leveling new shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have come to the postings to get some help as I am a novice plumber. I've gutted my ensuite tilled shower down to the floor. In whacking out the cement pan, and I assumed that I've probably cracked the old drain so when I got to the wood floor I cut away the older PVC 2" piping back...

Change drain location for New Whirlpool Installation [ 1 Answers ]

My project involves removing an existing 5 foot by 28 inch wide bath tub and installing in its place a 6 foot by 36 inch whirlpool. I have check out all the details and I have the room needed to fit the tub and do the installation properly and also handle the electrical. However I am a novice when...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search