Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emeraldeyes Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 01:18 AM
    Cat Problem 2
    Hi to all, I had about a week ago put a post about my cat getting on my fish tank. Well there's another thing that I started to notice about two weeks ago about my cat... I found a little piece of poop on the kitchen floor, I thought to myself that she must of accidentally scooped it out when she was in her cat litter box(I have her cat litter box there because the rest of the rooms floors are carpet)and the kitchen is pretty big. Anways, I was a little upset but just cleaned it up thinking it was an accident and wouldn't happen again. Two days past and I found another piece of poop on the floor on the same spot. This time I got some bleach so make sure the spot and the smell was gone. Then thinking again it won't happen this time. Once again I started to smell cat urine in my bedroom that following weekend. I looked and looked, I couldn't find where the smell was coming from so I ended up putting Frebreze everywhere to take the smell out of the room. And just 2 days ago, I came home and smelled poop in my room, and found diarrhea on my carpet and on my bed. I don't know if she wasn't able to get to her litter box in time or if she did it on purpose. And that was the first time I noticed she has ever got diarrhea. It was the can food I gave her the night before, I guess it didn't agree with her stomach. I just want to know if this was something she's doing on purpose for attention or she's mad at us. I always try to play and give her as much attention to her everyday and we always changed her litter box every week to a week and a 1/2. I just can't figure out what is causing her to do this. Is it maybe that she's tired of being an indoor cat and wants to get out and be more free & independent because she does love looking outside from the windows. Any thoughts on why she acting this way?:confused: Thanks for taking the time in reading this! Take care and God Bless!
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 4, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Take her to the vet! Eliminating outside of the litterbox is an indication that something is wrong with her health. It could be that she has a UTI, or that she has developed struvite crystals in her urine (not as common in female cats, but still a possiblity). It is also possible that she is not pleased with her litter box location/cleanliness. I have to scoop my litter boxes twice a day or else Caesar won't use them. He will find some clothes or shoes to pee on instead.
    Diarrhea is also an indication that something is wrong. Is can food a new thing for her? Cats must be introduced to new food very very slowly, whether it is dry or canned. It should be mixed with her old food over the course of a week to avoid stomach upset.

It is possible that she did things in your room on purpose. I do not mean this to say she is being spiteful. It may be her way of telling you she is sick and needs help.

When Caesar developed crystals the first time he peed on my foot while I was doing the laundry to let me know there was a problem. I have had many years experience with elimination outside the litter box and the trip to the vet is the very first thing you should do.

You will also need to figure out the source of the pee in your room. This will be hard to do I'm sure. I have spent many an afternoon on my hands and knees with my nose to the floor, looking for the exact spot where a certain kitty decided to pee. Once you find the spot you will need to soak it through, all the way to the backing with an enzymatic cat urine remover. This will be available at your vet or at your local pet store. You may need to treat more than once. Regular cleaners will not work to remove the smell and cleaners with ammonia will make it worse. If you do not remove the smell completely, your cat will likely return there to pee again.

I'm sorry this is so long... I hope that it is helpful!
    emeraldeyes Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 03:30 AM
    Thanks Mrs. Pennell for the advice. I will try to set up an visit to the vet as soon as I can. Mmmmm... come to think of it, my cat might be getting upset at me for moving her litter box. I've moved it 3 times but in the same area(kitchen). Can that be a reason she's acting this way? When I home she does go to her litter box like she's suppose to, to do her business, it's just when I'm gone she acts this way. I never had a problem with my other cats when I moved the cat litter. Maybe with her it's different. I have had cats almost all my life and this is the only cat that I have the most problems with. With all my other cats I have been able to stop their bad habits.

The can food I gave her was a new and different brand of food. It was the cheaper stuff. When I had opened the can food it had more "juice"(don't know what to call it)in with the food. I'm thinking it was too much for her to take so that's what cause her to get diarrhea?

I do believe she's being spiteful because she does notice me get frustrated and tell her bad kitty and I think she is getting back at me for putting tape all around the fish tank. She's like a human and she knows she is a smart and clever cat and she knows what gets to me.

I still haven't found where the smell is coming from in my room but I will keep on looking for it and get the cat urine remover.

Thanks so much for your time and advice with my cat problems, you're very helpful! Take care, jessi
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 5, 2006, 07:58 AM
    I totally understand your frustration. I have two cats right now and one is completely laid back and easy going. He never fusses about the litter box and will eat whatever you put in front of him. Caesar on the other had is just the opposite. He will sit next to his litterbox and howl until you scoop it... which must be done twice a day or he is not satisfied. I had to move it four times before he was happy with the location and wouldn't pee on my clothes. The final location... my room at the foot of my bed. So I know how frustrating it can be. I have gone through multiple bottles of urine remover. His food costs me about $60 a month because he develops crystals very easily. He chews through electrical cords all the time and meows every morning from six AM until about 7:30. And all that sounds like I am complaining... but I LOVE this cat like I would love a person. He has such personality! And when he is sleepy he gets up in my lap and puts his paws on my face and goes to sleep. If I leave a room he follows. I have to pee with the door open or he'll sit outside and bang on the door until I let him in. So I definitely understand the frustration! All I can say is have some patience, she'll settle down eventually!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

View more questions Search