Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronaldpatricia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2003, 04:28 PM
    toilet water surge
    Randomly through the day our toilet makes this 30 second water surging sound.  When I look in the toilet bowl I see ripples of water thinking it is new water coming in.
    What can we do?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2003, 08:27 PM
    Re: toilet water surge
    I can think of no reason the valve wouldn't either stay sealed or leak all the time. Replacing the valve that lets water from the tank to the bowl isn't too big of a job, and might solve the problem.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2003, 08:16 AM
    Re: toilet water surge
    Hey Ronald, I almost missed this one. I just check the plumbing page for questions about plumbing. A few things come to mind. First the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the white overflow tube when the tank is filled and the ballcock shut off. Now check the flapper and the seat it sets on. Run your finger around the flat part. It should have no wavey edges. If it does, replace it. Do the same with the seat, it should have no rough spots or nicks. And last check the linkage,( chain) between the flapper and the flush lever. It should have 1/4" of play when the flapper's seated. It should not be tight. If that don't get it click on back on the plumbing page and we'll go to plan "B". Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water on ground from toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Water is leaking in between the toilet and the floor. What can cause this And how can I fix it ?

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Toilet filling with hot water [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, our toilet has been occasionally filling with hot water instead of cold. This primarily happens when the toilet hasn’t been flushed in a few hours (such as first thing in the morning). As we continue to flush, the water goes from hot to warm to cold, and the flushes stay cold until the...

TV power surge [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: We had a wiring mishap... and our TV was connected to a 240 volt circuit. The resulting power surge seems to have fried the TV as it will not turn on... The receiver blew smoke out, but the VCR still works... Is there any help for the TV (internal fuse,reset?)? All 3 were connected. Thanks

View more questions Search