Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scibba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 02:48 PM
    Will we have more children?
    My husband was diagnosed in 2004 with cancer. He went through about 8 months of treatment (chemo and radiation).

I've read a lot about the type of chemo he was given and have found that one of the side effects is often infertility.

We didn't have anytime to plan out what we were going to do as far as having more children because the treatment started so quickly.. . And I had no idea that the side effect of his chemo could be infertility.

Do you think we will have more children?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2006, 03:01 PM
    Hi,
    I am not a Psychic. I am 64 yrs old, married 29 years. My wife went through chemo & radiation treatments in 2004 for a small tumor on the back of her tongue. At present, she is cancer free!
    I do wish you and your husband the best, and hope all goes well. The chemo treatments affected her saliva glands, and she has no saliva now. Also affected her thyroid, and she is on Levoxyl everyday, to be normal now in that area.
    If this type of chemo your husband is on might affect fertility, then there is always adoption. Hopefully, it won't happen to him. I do wish you both the very best, and hope it all turns out OK.
    scibba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I am not a Psychic. I am 64 yrs old, married 29 years. My wife went through chemo & radiation treatments in 2004 for a small tumor on the back of her tongue. At present, she is cancer free!
    I do wish you and your husband the best, and hope all goes well. The chemo treatments affected her saliva glands, and she has no saliva now. Also affected her thyroid, and she is on Levoxyl everyday, to be normal now in that area.
    If this type of chemo your husband is on might affect fertility, then there is always adoption. Hopefully, it won't happen to him. I do wish you both the very best, and hope it all turns out OK.
    Thank you for your kind words.

My husband had colorectal cancer (diagnosed at 35 yrs. Old) - and he was given Eloxatin as his chemo treament.

He too is cancer free at this time. We are blessed with a son - so if we never have more children, I'm okay with that - I have my husband & my son (the joy of our lives).
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Mar 10, 2006, 08:26 PM
    My brother was diagnosed with leukemia and underwent the usual radiation and chemo, because the cancer tends to "hide" in the genitals he was heavily irradiated and told that he was likely to be infertile.
    Having gone to full remission he subsequently sired two sons, so don't be too pessimistic on that score.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2006, 09:05 PM
    Certainly if you really concerned you can have a count done on him.

And a lot depends on your age as well. The chances of getting pregnant at 40 are lower then at 25, for ex. Of course fertility drugs have helped many.

I also agree w the comment on adoption. We have a 19 year old and a 2 year old. The last pregnancy really tore apart my wife's back and hip for a bit, and she was probably in the best shape of her life before the 2nd one. So we're thinking about adoption possibly. Both for the physical strain it put on her body and the fact that I think we're blessed and should share this life with some child in need.

Anyway... didn't mean to get off tangent... if it is important to you get a few tests done. I know after all you've been through a few more tests might seem like the last thing to do... but knowing how his count is could help you take some steps forward perhaps.

I wish you the best of luck.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Mar 28, 2006, 11:42 PM
    First off, a sperm count is a major must. Then when you get the count and if it is low consider artificial insemenation. sp? If you desire more children would it matter where the sperm came from?? Maybe your insurance would cover it due to his condition? Also, try and try and try again. Miracles happen if you believe in them!

Hypatia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No children [ 12 Answers ]

My daughter is getting married in May. We wish to have no children under 5 at the wedding, although we don't care about the reception. How can we convey that appropriately?

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search