Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eaas123 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Breathing Problems while trotting
    Ok I need help.Right the problem is that when my horse starts trotting I find it really hard to breath when I'm trying to concentrate on the stuff my instructor tells me please tell me how to tackle this.
    davedale1972 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Are you a horse?

May 30, 2008, 11:51 AM
    You are a horse. How did you manage to use the qwerty keyboard with those big hooves of yours? Amazing

May 30, 2008, 12:45 PM
    :confused: what no I'm a horse rider :P I proberbly phrased it wrong :P but any this is what it was meant to say: Ok I need help.Right the problem is that when my horse starts trotting it find I really hard to breath when I'm trying to concentrate on the stuff my instructor tells me please tell me how to tackle this.

OK sorry if that confused you :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Do you suffer from any medical issue, asthma? But it sounds like you are getting scared or nervous, so practice and practice and practice.

May 30, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Well only with my leg but that's it .Im not scared because I've been riding for ages I just find it really hard.

Jun 3, 2008, 06:34 AM
    What is your build? Are you a large person? Are you a woman? How old are you? Have you always had this problem? Try breathing exersizes at home. It might be the size of your boobs(if you're a woman) or moobs (if you're a man). Do you do other excersizes. Do you find it hard to breathe when you do other things?
    ntroyn Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2008, 11:18 PM
    If this is only happening during your lessons and not when your riding on your own, then it's most likely just a case of nerves. Basically, you're trying so hard to get everything just right, that you forget to breathe. Let your instructor know, so if push comes to shove, he/she can yell out to you to "breathe" or at least "exhale" from time to time. Some of the books on centered riding may give you exercises/pointers that may help as well.
    If it makes you feel any better, I actually heard a story at a clinic, once, of a girl that would basically faint at the end of her jumper round because she would be concentrating so hard that she would hold her breath the whole time, and boom. Once she trained herself to remember to breathe, the fainting ceased.
    Hang in there

Jun 22, 2008, 01:42 AM
    Thank you that has helped me also the problem was because my body protector stopped me breathing properly and I get very nervous when the director of the riding school is watching me ride like on Friday I got quite nervous when he kept on looking at me while I was riding.
    ntroyn Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Don't always assume that when someone's watching as you ride that they're critiquing your performance or appearance. May be watching how the horse is moving in general or how it's reacting to certain things. May also be checking out how your instructor is doing, or whether you and the horse are a good match, or could just be looking at the arena trying to figure out a new watering system, etc. Also, people don't necessarily see the same thing as you think is going on. I've had times riding, and this actually happens quite often, where someone watching is oohing and aahing on how good everything looks, and I'm thinking quite differently. Have also had cases where I was quite happy with the work out and an onlooker will comment otherwise.
    In your case, the bottom line is, unless you're a working student, you're paying those that are teaching and critiquing you. They're, for the time you are there, are working for you and are in a service related industry. It's not the other way around. In fact, even if you are a working student, you've still paid for your lesson time, with your labor and sweat. Doesn't matter how great they are, they are still dependent on you and your peers for their livlihood. I know, because I'm one of them! If you ever find yourself feeling intimidated, just remember that (although you may not want to tell them, as some of us do have big egos after all, it's kind of a requirement sometimes, if you're going to get the respect you need from the horses and people you're training )
    One more thing to keep in mind... if you're the type of person you sound like you are, you're most probably your own worst critic. This can serve you well in the long run, since it will make you constantly seek out answers and try harder, but put your focus on keeping the ride enjoyable for you and your horse for now. If you're comfortable and relaxed, the horse will tend to be more comfortable and relaxed. He'll go better, which, in turn will cause you to ride better, etc. etc.
    Have fun!

Jun 24, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Yeah OK thanks :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breathing problems? [ 1 Answers ]

I am having this problem for more then three months.When I have problems with my breathing I feel like the problems comes from my upper stomach.Running is my hobby,and when I run I really don't feel any problem with breathing.But suddenly I first feel some weird feeling in my stomach and after a...

Breathing problems swollen throat [ 1 Answers ]

My throat has been killing me the last few weeks. I got to where I couldn't breath too much just a little and tonight I looked at my throat in the mirror and the two holes in my throat on the sides are swollen and only opened a little. Any idea on why? Im going to make an appointment but I don't...

Difficulty in breathing [ 2 Answers ]

Good day to you all. I am a 43-old female. I have been diagnosed with Mixed Connective tissues diorder seven years ago. I have been through different phases, non was severe, but all annoying-enough. Working in addition to all social obligtions as a wife and mother, and most of the time you keep it...

Breathing Problems! [ 18 Answers ]

Hiya I'm 15 years old and I've recently being having trouble breathing. Its been going on for about two weeks and I'm really scared! What could be wrong with me? Could it be something serious? Please help I'm so so so so scared!

View more questions Search