Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Denial of promised compensation
    I am part of a team working through a contractor at a very large corporation. We were told upon hiring that we would be paid a base plus incentive for performance to goal (we are in sales). We were asked by the contractor and the client company to be patient as they were completing the written document that would lay out the incentive program but they did share details - the schedule of payments, what goal we needed to hit, the dollar amount we would receive for hitting goal, what goal was based on, and that it would be paid retroactive to our start date if we earned any incentive prior to the official legal document being completed. All of us questioned the hiring company and the agency thoroughly to confirm and reconfirm that the program was not itself under review, and that it was firmly being offered to us. They routinely and emphatically confirmed that the program was not in question, just that the document had to be "rubber stamped" by the legal department and would be done very soon after we started working here (within two weeks). Our agency is totally ineffective in negotiating on our behalf, and also are complicit in the lying that's going on. We don't even know who the decision makers are and are dealing with all these goofy people who have no authority, but are the only people we have access to at our menial level.

Of course since we started, incentive has been taken off the table completely but we've all sold in the millions of dollars worth of business. We are being told that we "misunderstood" in a variety of ways, and intermittently people from both of the involved companies admit having mislead us, then go back to saying they didn't, to blaming each other and so on. They say they are "looking at other options" but never seem to present anything. It's gone on for months. We are looking for other jobs, but also want to make this situation right - we've lost a lot of money in this situation.

They keep meeting with us and calling us, collectively and individually to "acknowledge our concerns" and we keep saying, "present us an alternative and we'll try to work something out with you, but if you are saying that no accomodation will be made for this huge loss of income, that is not acceptable".

Do we have any rights in this situation? Are we correct in our belief that this must not be a legal practice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Get the entire group of sales people and sue the hiring agency, the contracting company and the main company. As a group, you have the issue that you were all told the same thing, and/or you as a group can ask the agency to agree to be part of the law suit with you, if they will testify to what they were told.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Thank you - certainly that's an option but then again, we need the work so, I'm wondering also if anyone can advise how to manage the situation up to that point of a suit.

Thanks, FR Chuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I promised myself I wouldn't do this but. [ 6 Answers ]

I don't want to bother everyone with another hey... am I pregnant question but I do have a question that is kind of like that. I have some symptoms of being pregnant like sore breast, cramping, last night I wanted ice cream and as soon as I tasted it, I didn't want it anymore. (my fav ice cream!)...

Husband promised to split bonus [ 2 Answers ]

My divorce was finalized in November 07 after being dragged out for over 2 years. My ex husband receives a bonus annually (which pays out the following year in Feb). When I asked him about the bonus he told me via email that he would split it with me like he has done in the past years. Now he...

Landlord promised to give lease now giving a hard time [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I live in Queens, NY and I moved into my apt in September. My landlord promised to give us a lease that she was drafting it up. Now she is playing dumb as if she never said it. HELP!! I just don't know what to do and I feel like I am not protected because I don't have a lease. Now the...

My Boss Promised Me a Raise but I Never Received It [ 3 Answers ]

I hold two jobs. One being a full time job Mon-Fri 9-5, the other working at the local restaurant on Sat and Sun. Out of the blue my boss came to me two weeks ago and asked how much I bring home from the weekend job in tips. I gave him an average and he said he would raise me the average plus...

Promised a pay raise [ 13 Answers ]

So I have been working for this company for 8 months. 4 months ago I was stopped by the boss and told that they were really impressed; so they were giving me a payrise. Uping me by £2000 extra a year ontop of my already fixed annual salary. I was so excited and knew with this payrise I could...

View more questions Search