Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frglover68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Leaving State Texas with Child
    My stepdaughter left the state of Texas with my grandson. She is married but they've been separated for awhile now. There is no custody agreement in place nor is there a divorce. Neither parent has filed for divorce. She got fed up and moved to Oklahoma. Can she do this or is this considered a parent kidnapping.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 05:17 PM
    She left with no court orders in place to prevent her from leaving the state. It would not be considered parent kidnapping unless there was a court order in place.
    rnfowl Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

May 30, 2008, 06:59 PM
    I don't know how much different laws are from NY to Texas but if you leave out of town with a child without a court order that could be a problem. You have to have a court order to remove a child when no one has sole custody as of yet. His rights are equal to hers until determined by the court. If he contacts the police and states he does not know where the child or children are that could pose a definite problem.
    reikiwmn Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Nope, she is good to go. She is the parent. Just keep in touch with her so you can be a good sounding board for her if she needs an ear.
    Now in the future there could be a custody thing to consider, in the state of Texas they will work with other states to resolve issues with custody out of state. Go to the Texas website to look at the statutes on family law... very informative, and when in doubt.. see a lawyer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 4, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rnfowl
    I don't know how much different laws are from NY to Texas but if you leave out of town with a child without a court order that could be a problem. You have to have a court order to remove a child when no one has sole custody as of yet. His rights are equal to hers until determined by the court. If he contacts the police and states he does not know where the child or children are that could pose a definite problem.
    Whoops I meant to disagree there. Sorry, but you are wrong here. A parent can up and leave their home taking the kids at any time. In this case, since they were already living apart, that reinforces it. The only time a parent would get in trouble by moving away is if there is a court ordered visitation schedule that could no longer be followed.

Its possible she might be ordered to return but there is no criminal issue here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving out of state with child in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

In Texas, what is the penalty if the wife moves out of state with the children with out telling the husband?

Leaving State with Child without Custody Order [ 3 Answers ]

My question is complicated. My child's father and I separated. The child stays with her Dad during the week because her father caused me to be in such financial turmoil that I have to work 2 jobs to pay the bills for the house and I can't afford daycare. I have my daughter on the wekeends and...

Leaving the state with child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I left a state to go to another. Our 11 yr(my step child) daughter was so excited. Her mother who was asked, agreed to, had no problem with it. To go back a little, the mother left(abandoned) husband(my husb) and two children(one is 19 now)for another man. Told the courts she did not...

How do I stop my child's mother from leaving the state with my child? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters mother wants to move to Ohio with my child, leaving me, my parents and girlfriend behind who are greatly involved in my child's life. What can I do to stop her. She is the castodial parent.

Leaving the state with unborn child [ 4 Answers ]

My friend wants to leave the state and move back to her hometown. She is pregnant and no longer with the father. She has told him that she is planning to move back home. He has not shown any bit of interest in the pregnancy until now. He has told her that she can't leave and that he already has...

View more questions Search