Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rohitkumar_garg Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Filing jointly or separtely
    Hi,

I am on H1 and came to US in Jan 2005. My wife came to US in April 2005 on H4. She changed her status to F1 in Aug 2005. She doesn't have an income in year 2005 and she has started getting scholarship starting Feb 2006. We paid $4000 as her 2005 tution fees. As I am a resident alien, I can show her as my dependent while filing returns for 2005. Filing Married jointly will turn out to be low tax for me, as well we can get tax credit (Life time credit) for her tution fees. So in total this will save $4000 for me year 2005.

Now my question is that if I show her my dependent in year 2005, will she need to pay Social security/medicare tax for year 2006 income. Rightnow her school is deducting only the federal tax. Do we need to pay social security/ medicare tax even if her school is not deducting? What will happen when she start working on OPT? Do she need to inform her employer that she is filing her returns as resident alien with me.

Or can she file separately for year 2006 income?

Please let me know which filing status will be more beneficial for us. Provided she doesn't have an income in 2005 and she will have income in 2006 and 2007.

Please reply.

Thanks
    Rohit
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Rohit:

Actually, you lucked out, as you will get the best of both worlds.

By filing jointly with you for 2005, she is being treated as a resident alien, which normaly means she would be liable for the Social Security and Medicare taxes regardless of her F-1 visa status.

However, all students (including your wife) who work for the university are normally exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes. So as long as she works for the university, she will be fine.

Now, when she starts her OPT, she should begin paying the Social Security and Medicare taxes, as she has chosen to be treated as a resident alien. So when the employer asks, she must tell them about the joint tax return.

Further, once you file jointly, that choice cannot be rescinded.

I suspect that the Education Credits will probably offset the cost of the Social Security and Medicare taxes, so you will probably come out even in the long run.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Resubmitted twoce by accident!
    rohitkumar_garg Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 11:28 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for such an early response.

Though I got 2 more questions:

1. In future, if she want to file her returns separately (as a resident alien) can she do that or she would always need to file the returns jointly with me.

2. We paid her tution fee in Jan 2006 for the spring 2006 session. Can I get tax credit for this tution fee on the returns of year 2005? Or I can include only the tution fee paid in 2005.

Thanks
    Rohit
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Rohit:

Already answered your private message.

1) She can file a Married Filing Separately resident alien tax return now that she has effectively chosen to be treated as a resident alien.

2) You can only claim tuition credits in the year you paid them. This information is tracked by the university and reported to the IRS on Form 1098-T.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanted to file taxes jointly, we are on J1/J2 visas [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on J1 visa, came to usa on 09/2004. I'm from India and a non resident both for tax purpose and immigration purpose. My wife who is on J2 visa worked for a little time in the year 2005. She stopped working as she was a pregnant, we had our baby on 12/22/05. Now we wanted to file jointly (as...

To file jointly or separately? Help needed please [ 1 Answers ]

Need help chosing best filing option for my wife and I. We live in NJ, I work in NYC, wife works in NJ. Is it better to file jointly or separately? NY taxes on NY income only, but does use total income (wife + mine) for rate base calculations. Wondering which filing options would be best... ...

Married Filling Jointly - H4 ? [ 1 Answers ]

One of my friend (Indian) in H1 came to US in Oct 2005 and his wife came to US in Feb 2006. He did not meet substantial presence test and he will file for extn. And then file 1040 after meeting the presence test. 1. Whether he can file for Married Filling Jointly even though his wife was not is...

F-1 and H-1 jointly for tax [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: I holds F-1 visa and my wife holds H-1 visa. We become resident aliens for tax purposes in 2005. If we file 1040 jointly, can and how can we claim a treaty exemption (between China and US) for my scholarship or fellowship? If we use 1040 form, which line in 1040 and which attached form...

H1B starting on 3/1/05, may I file form1040 jointly with noresident husband? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Chinese. My OPT ended in 2/28/05. My fisrt $5000 was tax free because of the treaty. However, my SS and medicare tax were withhold for these two months under my OPT. My H1B started on 3/1/05. I would gratefully appreciate your help on the following questions: 1) Am I a dual-status...

View more questions Search