Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ltinhb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2004, 11:24 AM
    Water line makes Knocking noise
    Every time one of our toilets if flushed, the water line makes a knocking noise.  It never use to do that until we replaced the flapper and flushing valve.  Does anyone know what this might be?  It's very loud! ::)
    jonnyques Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2004, 01:25 PM
    Water line makes Knocking noise
    Most of the time knocking is caused by long unsupported lengths of pipe. The knocking happens when water is turned of quickly and the preasure is built back up in the pipe. I would think it is the new valve you put in the toilet. Do you know if the shut off valve was fully opened before you closed it to do the repair. The first thing I would do is play with the preasure going to the valve. Try partualy closing the shut off. You may have to make different adjustments to eliminate the knock and still have the tank refill in a reasonable amount of time. The reduced flow will increase the preasure in the pipe and reduce the preasure on the valve. Hope it helps!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 9, 2004, 09:03 PM
    Re: Water line makes Knocking noise
    Sounds like you may have water hammer. Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back. You have just recharged your air chambers. Good luck , Tom
    dfreem5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2012, 05:09 PM
    I have a similar problem, but without the 'air chambers' or 'angle stops'. Can't figure out what is being referred to in the above solution. Newer home producing 'clunking' of water line behind fridge, every time the sink/toilet is used. The line is expanding and collapsing extremely so as to bang the wall and fridge. Tried clearing out the line with the above steps and it seemed to work for a few hours, but the problem has since returned, although slightly more quiet.
    Please help! This is starting to drive me insane! It must be on some list as a sick form of torture.

Thanks in advance,
    Deb

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noise in water line [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new pressure reducer in my house. Now there is a hum or low whistle whenever I flush the toilet or draw water in the bathtub. I have two toilets and it happens with both. Prior to replacing the valve the water pressure was excessive and caused the toilets to rum constantly....

Refrigerator water line noise [ 3 Answers ]

Our house is 5 years old and about a month ago the refrigerator water line started banging between the wall and the refrigerator. It is very loud and you can watch the line jump. It happens about when water is turned off in the house, either the sink, toilet or washer. It only happens about 20%...

Furnace makes poping noise [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace makes a popping noise when it shuts off. I tried changing the filter but it still makes the noise. Why is it doing this and how much will it cost to have it fixed?

Combustion Air Blower makes noise. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 4 and 1/2 year old ComfortMaker furnace. The combustion air blower started making a rumbling noise while starting and stopping and continues to vibrate while running. I had a heating & cooling service look at it. $65 just to show up. Without taking anything apart he said...

Loud Knocking Noise when cold water side of shower is on [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy folks. When I turn my shower on, I have to turn the water all the way to hot, switch the shower lever, and then adjust to warm... otherwise I get a huge loud knocking sound from the basement. I went down to see if I could see pipes rattling or anything, but nothing. I turned on the faucet...

View more questions Search