Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

May 29, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Can't make my wife understand . When it gets hotter outside
    Can't make my wife understand... when it gets hotter outside,
    We have to raise the thermostat inside.

Is there a normal/average range difference from outside to inside ?

Say if it's 90 deg outside... inside should be 78 deg... or diff of 12 deg.

Thanks
    squeaks77 Posts: 113, Reputation: 19
    -

May 29, 2008, 12:59 PM
    There's no "normal" range of difference between the outside temperature and inside. It depends on your comfort level and what your willing to pay in electricity! You say your wife doesn't understand, but MAYBE you aren't understanding that she is too hot and uncomfortable!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 29, 2008, 01:31 PM
    I hope she is not in change of life situation. I could never make my wife comfortable years ago during that time. It was to hot one minute and to cold the next. Finally that passed and all of that stuff was over.

Usually people are more inclined to be uncomfortable by the humidity level than the temperature. If you have a problem with humidity a dehumidifier will help and you can still keep the higher temperature. Usually the dehumidifiers do not use near as much utilities as running the A/C at a much lower temperature.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 06:26 PM
    My wife likes it at 75 or 74 If it's a 100 outside or 90. If she's happy I'm happy. No rule of thumb with the temp setting. The equipment should be setup to keep you comfortable no matter what the temp is out side.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Well why do you have to move the setting, the right temp in your home during winter why would that not be the same setting for summer, a nice temp is a nice temp. The home stays the temp you have it set on, if you have heat and air, if you set it on 78 it is 78 summer or winter.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 06:42 PM
    In the south you need to dehumidify. Setting the thermostat on 78 in the summer with major humidity will feal warmer than the 78 in the winter with out the humidity.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

May 30, 2008, 03:15 PM
    There is some health benefit to keeping the indoor to outdoor temp spread to maximum 15 degrees. It is easier on your body when going from one to the other.

We live in a very humid area and we try to run ours like that. It helps that my AC unit is only a mini split in one room. It dehumidifies well because it runs a good bit when it's really hot.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Not sure where you hear about a 12 degree difference, no science to that notion. You can feel comfortable at 78 in the summer but that would feel really warm in the winter. In the winter your home may feel just right at 70 or 71 but that would make you feel freezing in the summer. As you age this all goes down the tube. Where do you live?
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

May 30, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Sorry, that 15 degree number is for cooling only. Heating is a different animal. Will have to look up the link and post it if I find it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2008, 03:44 PM
    I was referring to Dannac's original post. Comfort is a balnace between indoor humidity and temp, and apparently age and gender if you meet my wife.

Jun 2, 2008, 03:44 AM
    Thanks for all the reply's... took me awhile to get back.

I live in South Louisiana... humidity can be terrible.

95 temps and high humidity... my unit is set to 78.

Jun 2, 2008, 03:50 AM
    squeaks77...

When it gets hotter outside (raising)
    You cannot go the opposite (lowering) way with the thermostat... that's all I meant.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2008, 04:50 AM
    See figure 5.

http://www.p2pays.org/ref%5C08/07692.pdf

What it shows, is that comfort is dependent on summer/winter temperature and humidiity and probably genetics. Not everyone will be comfortable at the same conditions. Most will be comfortable within the range of the chart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Make my boyfriend understand [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Im from India. I and my boyfriend are in relationship for the past 3 years. I love him a lot. I can't live without him. I wanted to marry him this year and start family. But due to our custom in the community he wanted me to go to UK for education with him and later marry. I had so much...

Make me understand in laymans english what is mutual fund investment? [ 1 Answers ]

I have no clue about investments.I want to know how much and where to invest as a start. If someone could kindly help me in knowing and understanding of investmenst , it would be great. Thanks Leonora

Make me understand [ 17 Answers ]

OK so I have a question/problem. But before I get into it I just want to let everyone know that I don't believe in god, that's why I need opinions from people who do (the more devout the more I think I'll get a better explaination) so I'm not trying to offend anybody if I say the wrong thing. ...

Spendin time w my boyfriend.how can I make him understand? [ 27 Answers ]

I'm going to see him in a couple hours... he told me that he wants to make things better and start fresh and spend more time. So I had asked him if were going to do anything this weekend and he said yes.. well today I was talking to him and I asked to make sure, and he said no, and I got very upset...

How I can make her understand [ 2 Answers ]

Hi ! All, I met this girl last Saturday.. before that I used to communicate with her over telephone for around 2 months.. . We live in two different cities. We had a very nice meeting.. we spend good two days together at her city. I really liked her as a person and proposed her to marry me.....

View more questions Search