Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emmyale Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Can I be forced to pay credit card debt?
    I have a creadit card debt of 500 dollARS that has risen to 1,030 dollars and I have not been able to make payments since August last year because I was not working, I called the collection agenCy that had left a message ON my phone to arrange how to sTart paying, the guy I spoke with was very rude and was threatening me to either pay or they will forcefully take it the money from me I told him that I will pick up a cheque next Thursday he siad he gave me up till tomorrow to either pay or face the consequencies that might befall me.
    What can I do now?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 29, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Pay your debt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Yes you can be forced to pay, but by use of legal means, not physical force. If you don't pay, they can file suit against you in a court of law. If they win the suit, then they can garnish your wages, attach your bank account or attach other assets.

Since you refer to a cheque (rather than check), I assume you are not in the US, so the laws may vary a bit where you are.
    emmyale Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emmyale
    I have a creadit card debt of 500 dollARS that has risen to 1,030 dollars and i have not been able to make payments since august last year because i was not working, i called the collection agenCy that had left a message ON my phone to arrange how to sTart paying, the guy i spoke with was very rude and was threatening me to either pay or they will forcefully take it the money from me i told him that i will pick up a cheque next thursday he siad he gave me up till tommorrow to either pay or face the consequencies that might befall me.
    what can i do now?
    Hi scott he told i have until tomorrow to come up with some money or else, i told him i can pay a part of it next thursday what should i do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2008, 12:19 PM
    It would help if we knew where you are. Ask him or else what? Get his name, take down exactly what he says. Then tell him you will discuss it with an attorney.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

May 29, 2008, 08:05 PM
    I agree with ScottGem on this. I am also going to assume you are in the US.

#1. DO NOT, under any circumstances agree to make any type of payment and never, ever give a collection agency / attorney access to your bank account number.

#2. Have you received anything from them in the mail? If so, send a VALIDATION letter and make them prove that you owe the debt, EXACTLY how much you owe legally, and that they have the legal right to collect the funds. If not, tell them to put it in writing!

#3. Read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (just Google FDCPA) and learn what they can do legally. If they are threatening things that they cannot do or do not intend to do, you can file suit against them.

It is always best to know the rules of the game these guys play, because if you don't, they will cheat and always win!

Hope this helps!

LG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

College Loan Debt & Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Answer Received

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Old credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I have about 5 judgments for old credit card debt I don't have an income or home car etc.. In my name and am married if I can go bankrupt would my spouse be affected

View more questions Search