Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TwinkletOes26 Posts: 182, Reputation: 2
    -

May 29, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Recent Grad who is going I to the work force needs a few questions answered
    Hey I just graduated from colleg and about to enter the work force and I have a few questions that hopefully some more expierenced (not calling anyone here old) people on here can answer these questions for me... first I will give you a little back ground : I majored in psychology so I am looking for jobs that are in the social services area so here are my questions

1. are open toed shoes really not allowed at the work place because I have seen people in several offices wearing them but I always read and was told that open toed shoes are a no no because they lack professionalism(tell the shoe stores that finding closed toed shoes in the summer in ga is nearly impossible ) what about those cute ballerin flats are those OK they are closed toed and look professional and I can stand and walk all day w/o hurt feet if I need to?

2. If making friends at work is a bad idea(I learned this from working part time in a grocery store) where do real adults go to make friends all my college buddies are either in another state or still in college... so what does a 20 something do to make new friends pick them ip at a bar ?

3. I hear after you get hired you work out a contract with your boss(in my case the state because social work) what should I ask for?

4. How do I handle difficult coworkers/boss while I was in college if I didn't like someone I would either avoid or let them know why I didn't like them and see if we could work something out but I know in the workplace its different who what is the professional way to deal with coworkers/boss that difficult

5. being a recent grad I'm broke so will be brown bagging my lunch(and because its suppose to be better for you health wise) any ideas on things to take for lunch my ideas consist of pb and j and turkey

6. How do you properly resign from a job? I don't want to be in the south forever so once I can get a job else where I will need to leave the job I will be at so how do I do this w/o making anyone upset?

And if you guys have any other advice to throw in it will very much be appreciated :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 10:19 AM
    First off stop talking in abbreviated words such as be and because, etc. Learn to make whole words and get in the habit of doing this. Nothing looks more unprofessional than cell phone texting slang to an employer or other employees when they see this on paper or in memos they will get from you in the future.

1. Closed toed shoes are always in style and always look professional. If you want to be a professional, act like a professional in the manner of your dress code at all times. It does not matter what everyone else does shoe wise, it's what you do that counts for you. Closed toed shoes regardless of winter or summer are professional looking.

2. Find friends anywhere except in bars or at work. Church is a good place, so is a laundromat.

3. You work out your contract prior to being hired.

4. Handling of difficult co-workers or bosses can't just be answered in one or two lines. There are books out there that address this situation. Would suggest you check out one at the local library and read. I've read several and they have helped me deal with them.

5. I make roast beef in a crock pot and then put individual portions in freezer boxes with veggies and reheat at work. I take a nice salad in another box and a dessert of either cut up watermelon or strawberries and sour cream. I rotate with roast chicken in the freezer boxes every week or so. It fills me up so much I hardly have room for supper in the evenings.

6. The proper way to resign is to type up a letter to your supervisor giving them at least two weeks' notice that you are resigning. This way you will leave on friendly terms and have a good reference. You can give longer than two weeks if you like also.

Always dress like a lady. That means no short skirts, extremely tight pants, revealing necklines, junky jewelry, etc. Dress like you are going to meet an important person every day at your job. This way you won't ever have a day that should you have to meet an important person you will be properly dressed to do so. It does not matter if the company has a "casual Friday dress day" either. Don't embarrass yourself clothes wise if you want to be a professional.

I've been in offices for over 40 years and have seen it all believe me. And I remember who stands out as a professional person and who stands out as one who just put their arm into their closet and yanked out anything whether it was appropriate or not for an office. I could amuse you with some of the awful outfits I have seen worn to an office, but I don't have enough room or time right now.

Good luck on your job hunting!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 10:21 AM
    1- every employer will have different dress code standards, some will allow open toe, some won't, it will depend on the policy where you work.

2- avoiding "close" relationships at work is always a good idea. Especially when it comes time for promotions, and becoming the supervisor of one of these "close" relationships. God forbid it ever goes beyond just friendship, the you are really in trouble. Where to meet others, depends on what other activities or social events are available in your area. You can meet people at the gym, at church, at local festivals or events, concerts, plays,
    Or really any other activities where a group of people would gather.

3- you need to research what the range of salary is for your position, in your area. At least have some idea of where to begin the negotiations. I always tried to get them to offer first.
    Once you give them a figure, the real chance to negotiate is done. You could offer a salary that is far below what they may have offered, or, you could price yourself right out of the job if your request is too far out of line. Most businesses will already have policy in place for things like sick days, and vacation time.

4- just do your best, to do your job, and perform to your best ability. Don't get involved in gossip, or office back stabbing. NEVER discuss your opinions of the boss with other employees, unless what you have to say is a certain compliment and couldn't be twisted around to look like a negative comment. Be willing to swallow your pride sometimes, just to keep the peace, and your job. Do your best to take criticism without becoming insulted or combative.

5- fruits and veggies are great for a bag lunch. They offer something to eat, that can be really refreshing and won't pack on a bunch of pounds. Also, most business with a few employees will have a refrigerator where you can keep your lunch without having to worry about something spoiling before you eat it.

6- the common way to vacate a position is with a minimum 2 weeks notice, allowing the employer to make arrangements to find your replacement, get them trained and able to take over after you leave. If you are in a higher level, supervisory position, a 30 day notice is more appropriate. Keeping in mind, some employers will let you go immediately upon giving notice, it is not uncommon for them to do so, especially if your position allows you access to the company's cash.

Just in the questions you ask, I think you will do just fine, most people don't even take the time to give any thought to things you have asked. By doing so, you show a level of maturity many your age just don't have, yet.

Best wishes to you!
    TwinkletOes26 Posts: 182, Reputation: 2
    -

May 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
    What about those ballet flats I have a feeling I'm going to have to do a lot of walking so are flats like these ? : dELiAs > Linen Flat > shoes > flats

If not any alternate ideas of flats or shoes that are comfortable and professional looking?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Hey I just graduated from colleg and about to enter the work force and I have a few questions that hopefully some more expierenced (not calling anyone here old) people on here can answer these questions for me... first I will give you a little back ground : I majored in psychology so I am looking for jobs that are in the social services area so here are my questions

1. are open toed shoes really not allowed at the work place because I have seen people in several offices wearing them but I always read and was told that open toed shoes are a no no because they lack professionalism(tell the shoe stores that finding closed toed shoes in the summer in ga is nearly impossible ) what about those cute ballerin flats are those OK they are closed toed and look professional and I can stand and walk all day w/o hurt feet if I need to?

Open toed shoes are not allowed at all in some companies, in others you may wear t shirts and blue jeans, so what happens, you always dress properly for the interview, and you look around while there. Also you always dress to the higher side for the first few days when working somewhere, to find out what is and what is not allowed

In fact in some lines of work, they will expect heels, so get used to the real world, you will have to find the way each place works.

2. If making friends at work is a bad idea(I learned this from working part time in a grocery store) where do real adults go to make friends all my college buddies are either in another state or still in college... so what does a 20 something do to make new friends pick them ip at a bar ?

Most real adults? Will depend on the job, the mechanics from the transmission shop may all go to baseball games and out to a party.
    But often friends are found at events you go to, church, social groups, people who live close to you, and sometimes old high school or college friends are still keep. Often in many indstury, you don't want to mix the two, esp if you start into management

3. I hear after you get hired you work out a contract with your boss(in my case the state because social work) what should I ask for?
    Very few jobs have written contracts any longer, if you can get one, great, you ask for the salary you want, and all the details of your job that you want.

4. How do I handle difficult coworkers/boss while I was in college if I didn't like someone I would either avoid or let them know why I didn't like them and see if we could work something out but I know in the workplace its different who what is the professional way to deal with coworkers/boss that difficult
    You avoid them or ignore them, and just put up with them. As for difficult bosses, well you change jobs or just put up with them.

5. being a recent grad I'm broke so will be brown bagging my lunch(and because its suppose to be better for you health wise) any ideas on things to take for lunch my ideas consist of pb and j and turkey
    Anything, everyone has different tastes, salads, yogurts, or sub sandwiches.

6. How do you properly resign from a job? I don't want to be in the south forever so once I can get a job else where I will need to leave the job I will be at so how do I do this w/o making anyone upset?

Well when you decide to move from Gods land ( the south) depends on the job, at least always a 2 week notice, and if you are in a positoin that is hard to replace, sometimes up to a 4 week notice.

And if you guys have any other advice to throw in it will very much be appreciated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

17 year old male, a lot of questions I need answered. [ 6 Answers ]

Wow, I've thought for a while how I would do this and I am really quite nervous discussing this openly for the first time... Well, first of all, penis size.. Im around 15cm erect, and from what I've heard this is quite small.. I think I've practically gone through puberty, I've had a very deep...

Had my first period and need some questions answered [ 16 Answers ]

Igot my first period today and had a lot of blood. I was really freaked out at first. I called my mom and she told me to use a pad. (She's at work). I am kind of worried though. There is A LOT of blood and it isn't really... coming out. It is just there. I am worried this could be bad. I have to...

Recent college grad with criminal history [ 6 Answers ]

I recently graduated from college with a degree in Public Relations. I got good grades and have also consistently held a job since I was fifteen. The problem is that I partied pretty hard through my first two years of college and established significant police record during this time including;...

Many Questions To Be Answered! [ 4 Answers ]

1. Is it okay to tell the next relationship about how the old relationship went and to tell them who dumped who. Will any of it make a difference? 2. Is it possible for a very beautiful woman to really have guy friends that are just guy friends? 3. What are a few things to never ever say to a...

View more questions Search