Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpjkyo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Frustrated signing 84 yo veteran father to obtain VA Benefits
    I have repeatedly tried to sign my Dad up for Veteran Health Benefits. No one seems to really care that much or understand the urgency of my issues. Everything takes time to process. Now I am trying to find how to get a copy of his DD214. I am running out of time... my Dad is unable to speak and has a very hard time caring for himself. When he signed up for World War II everything was processed pretty fast. Now years later when he definitely needs their assistance its as though he is only a number.

I hope someone can help me learn how to accomplish this task.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Have you done to the local Veteran's Administration Office and asked for their help on this? They can assist you in getting the DD214 that you need.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Yes, your local VA office, also check out a local VFW or American Legion, many have a member who is assigned to assist in such matters.

But I will say that getting things though and from the government just does take time. And while you do realise this now, a lot needed to be done before it was needed.
    You may want to make sure you have his POWER of ATTORNEY, to sign and get things for him, if he is not able to in the future.
    jpjkyo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjkyo View Post
    I have repeatedly tried to sign my Dad up for Veteran Health Benefits. No one seems to really care that much or understand the urgency of my issues. Everything takes time to process. Now I am trying to find how to get a copy of his DD214. I am running out of time...my Dad is unable to speak and has a very hard time caring for himself. When he signed up for World War II everything was processed pretty fast. Now years later when he definitely needs their assistance its as though he is only a number.

I hope someone can help me learn how to accomplish this task.
    Today is by June 28. Dad died in jan. The next day Mom was on life support and died. All six children are grieving, mired with loss, regrets trying to accept their deaths. The people that helped us stand out. The VA never came through. Dad answered his call to duty for WWII. Dad never received what he was entitled to after his sacrifice and duty to his country. He received two bronze stars... never told his children. This sadly must happen to a lot of Veterans.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 07:15 PM

I am truly sorry to hear your parents passed. Sometimes life is not fair to those who gave their all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to adopt an infant with the father not signing the birth certificate? [ 7 Answers ]

I had a baby awhile ago and the male that I had it with wasn't a very good man and was a poor judgement on my side. I have moved on and currently am soon to be getting married. It was never my choice that he didn't sign the birth certificate and he had many options to do so. He claims that he...

Nephew [ 3 Answers ]

My nephew father told my sister he was signing over his parental rights next week. He said that the man handling his child support case in the child support office told him to do this. This way he will not have to pay child support any more. We live in Massachusetts is this a true fact?

Father signing over rights. [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my ex (well now ex) dont get along at all. He is controlling and abusive! He calls me names ectect.. but we have a daughter together. we are young only 21 years old. I really want to do an open adoption for her. where we are still in her life somewhat but she is in the care of a stable...

Father Signing off Rights [ 1 Answers ]

I was going to have the father of my two children sign off his parental rights. They don't know who he is, they believe that someone else is their dad. He keeps telling me that I need to be married in order for him to sign up. Is this true? He paid child support for one child for about a year...

View more questions Search